Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lookup Issues - The option "our issue key" for field 'Epic Link' does not exist.

Abhishek_Ajmera February 18, 2022

I am trying to create a rule where trigger is any change to story points field on a story or task.

Action in this case is to update the Epic of the issue to have the sum

In the Lookup Issues, I have put the JQL  "Epic Link" = {{issue.key}}

and then edit issues fields I try to update "Story Points" = {{lookupIssues.Story Points.sum}}

It always throws an error "The option "our issue key" for field 'Epic Link' does not exist." I can see on all our issues we have the epic link field showing up details section.

What am I doing wrong in this?

Or is there an alternative to doing this?

3 answers

1 vote
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 5, 2022

Hi @Abhishek_Ajmera 

Are you using a company-managed or a team-managed project for these issues and rule?  I ask because:

• company-managed projects link epic/children with the "Epic Link" field and use the "Story points" field
  • team-managed ones use "parent" and "Story point estimate"

That would impact both the rule test conditions and the JQL used for Lookup Issues.  And note that the spacing and capitalization are important for smart values, so confirm you have the correct values to get rules to work.

When in doubt, use this how-to article to confirm the exact names of the smart values to use for your project's issues: https://support.atlassian.com/cloud-automation/docs/find-the-smart-value-for-a-field/ 

Kind regards,
Bill

0 votes
Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 19, 2022

Hi @Abhishek_Ajmera ,

Could you add a screenshot of your automation rule and the audit log output? This would help get a better overview of the setting and identify the problem to find a fitting solution.

Thanks in advance.

Best
Stefan

Abhishek_Ajmera February 19, 2022

Thanks for the response @Stefan Salzl I am adding the rules and the screenshots

Screen Shot 2022-02-19 at 12.18.56 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-02-19 at 12.41.29 PM.png

Error:

Screen Shot 2022-02-19 at 12.36.26 PM.png

The project that it picks is correct, the issue keys that it is showing is correct but I keep receiving this error.

Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 19, 2022

As @Fabian Lim already mentioned in the answer below:

The very first line of the audit log gives the information that the rule is limited to one project (single project rule). Therefore only issues within this project can be considered for further processing within the rule.

In case issues to be fetched/looked up exist in other projects the rule has to be a multi project or global rule. This can be configured via:

Rule details --> Scope 

Best
Stefan

Yes thanks for the hint @Fabian Lim and @Stefan Salzl

I looked at this option of creating global rules, but does that mean that this rule will start applying to all the projects? That is something I don't want to do or own as almost every team/project we have in Jira uses jira differently.

Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 19, 2022

In general: the scope of the rule is than global, yes.

The rule can also be configured as a multi project rule including only several projects to which the rule should have access to.

does that mean that this rule will start applying to all the projects

As said before: the scope applys then to all projects. In case the rule is not expected to be triggered from all projects activation/processing can be limited with a condition after the trigger (see screenshot)

image.png

Hope this helps.

Best
Stefan

I will give this a shot but it does not feel like at least my issue was project scope as I re-verified the test epic and the stories under that epic are all from the same project so theoretically I should not need a global rule.

Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 19, 2022

Might it be possible to see the whole error message? And if possible also the configuration lookupIssue action to find out what happens in the processing of the JQL (as it seems something is going wrong there).

Is there some way to see the whole error message other then the screenshot i sent above?

screenshot of the jql

Screen Shot 2022-02-19 at 4.45.27 PM.png

And this is the screenshot of the edit issue after lookup

Screen Shot 2022-02-19 at 4.44.06 PM.png

Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 19, 2022

I meant the screenshot but clear readable?

To further analyse: could you please add 2 logging actions to your rule like the following screenshot, trigger the rule and send a screenshot of the audit rule?

image.png

Best
Stefan

Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 19, 2022

Hi @Abhishek_Ajmera 

I could reproduce the behaviour. On my side this happens if the epic names contains of a quotation mark (").

image.png

Abhishek_Ajmera February 22, 2022

Thanks @Stefan Salzl I think my error is different, it says 

"Custom Smart Value JQL Search: "("Epic Link" = "Epic Name: 1") AND (project in (19904))" - The option 'Epic Name: 1' for field 'Epic Link' does not exist." 

Also I double verified that neither the epic name nor the title contains any quotes. It does have a colon (:) in the name though.

Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 22, 2022

I checked a few special characters but not the colon. 

In case your question is resolved please consider to mark the answer as accepted to mark the question as resolved and help other users who are in need of this information an looking for solution.

Abhishek_Ajmera February 22, 2022

@Stefan Salzl i didn't mean that it was causing it, I removed that colon also from both the epic name and title but it is still the same error.

Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 22, 2022

Hi @Abhishek_Ajmera ,

for further analyse could you please configure/add „logging action“ as described in one of the previous replies?

6BA51274-0A20-4F6A-95DA-A42D8B48DA01.png

And please if possible a screenshot of both the userStory and the expected epic?

Does this happen with other epics too or only with a specific one?

Best
Stefan

Abhishek_Ajmera February 23, 2022

Hi,
please find the screenshots attached.

Screen Shot 2022-02-22 at 4.28.06 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-02-22 at 4.28.17 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-02-22 at 4.28.26 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-02-22 at 4.28.36 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-02-22 at 4.32.59 PM.png

Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 23, 2022

Please also add thr screenshot of those issues from previous post (story and epic)

0 votes
Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 18, 2022
Abhishek_Ajmera February 18, 2022

Thanks for quick response and thanks for this link, did not know that issue.Epic Name was also a smart value available. But still i see similar error, previously I was getting "The option "our project epic key" for field 'Epic Link' does not exist."

now I get "The option "our project Epic Name" for field 'Epic Link' does not exist."

Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 19, 2022

Check if the stories in the epic come from the same project.  If you are picking tickets from another project you will have to make it global.

Regards

Like Stefan Salzl likes this

@Fabian Lim is there a specific way to look at the project details? From the breadcrumb at the top, both the epics and the stories in the epic are all part of the same project. 

What do you mean when you say "you will have to make it global"

One thing to note is that the parent of the epic (an Initiative) is from a different project.

David Roy Morin May 18, 2022

Any update on this I have the same issue

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events