Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jira email on comment edit on an issue

Troy October 13, 2023

Hello, need some help with my below automation rule. This is working fine when a new comment is added to the Jira issue however if the comment gets edited then no email is triggered. What changes I need to make to accommodate that please?

image.png

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 13, 2023

Hi @Troy -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Adding a new comment and editing an existing one produce two different events.  And so there are two different triggers: Issue Commented and Comment Edited.

You could clone your rule and change the trigger to cover both cases.

Another option is to use the generic Issue Updated trigger, but that would require checking the changelog to determine which field changed (i.e., comments)

Kind regards,
Bill

Troy October 13, 2023

Thanks Bill, I tested by copying the current rule and modifying it to handle edit trigger and that is all working fine now.

I would like to check the other option you mentioned as in when: issue updated, can you please create and share the automation rule screenshot for that taking Comments field of Jira issue as example?

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 13, 2023

I am glad to learn that is working with two rules, and...I just learned something new...

Commenting on issues does not fire the generic Issue Updated event (and trigger), but it does apparently get picked up if a webhook is used (although I have not tried that).

I found a few open suggestions in the public backlog for this, most closed as "won't fix", and with no clear direction from the Atlassian team on how they want it to work.

I struck-out my earlier idea as that apparently cannot work with Issue Updated and Jira Cloud.

Like Troy likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events