Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jira Automation - Status Transition error "Destination status could not be resolved"

Michael Dobbs March 5, 2021

We're attempting to automate a status transition of a particular issue type when an update is sent via Salesforce. The actual transition does appear to work but we're getting an error in the log.

Rule and error attached.AutomationRule.png

AutomationTransitionError.png

My suspicion is that the error is occurring due to the number of times the issue has entered this state (Reopened - 4) and it's actually a bug with the report. But am I missing something?

Note: the issue does actually successfully transition to Reopened.

We are using Jira Cloud.

Kind regards and many thanks for any feedback.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Danyal Iqbal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 5, 2021

You need a global Transition to the reopened status, for this automation rule to work as desired.

Thanks for your feedback Danyal.

Forgive me but I'm not familiar with the concept of a "global" transition?
Is it simply the case that any status is permitted to transition to it?

If so, then i'm not sure why it would only be a log error and not actually fail completely.

Kind regards

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 5, 2021

agree. and the fact that the transition did actually occur tells me that either the automation worked or the issue was already in the status associated w/ reopened transition. I might consider improving your conditions a bit to align w/ your workflow. If you have an "All" transition into the status that is associated with reopening then it is pretty easy - just add a field condition to check that you are not already in your target open status. if you are not using an "all" transition then you need to consider the from statuses that you could be in when this rule triggers.

Michael Dobbs March 9, 2021

Thank you for the suggestion Jack,
I ended up adding a != Open status to the IF which appears to have resolved the issue.  

Many thanks for your help.

1 vote
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 5, 2021

As stated it appears that the transition is working correct? If so then I think it is just a false error which I have seen before when the automation doesn’t run cleanly. With that said I would recommend you do a couple of controlled tests on this just to try to understand the error. It would be interesting to use the log event action to capture of the incoming status. 

Thanks Jack, 

I will set a log event to capture the incoming status.
In theory it will always be transitioning from a Closed status due to the workflow of the issue. 

Kind regards

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events