Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue passes If Statement in Automation, but conditions don't match

James K_ June 22, 2023

Hello,  I have an automation that isn't behaving as expected.  It runs when a customer opens a ticket and essentially has 2 relevant functions:
1. To set a supported version field based on the product version that customers select when opening the ticket
2. Then based on the time the ticket was opened (during business hours or not), and the ticket request type (an urgent ticket or not), the automation should add an automated message to the ticket.

There are different messages for the combinations of the three "variables" supported/unsupported, Out of Business Hours/During Business Hours, and Urgent / Non-Urgent requests, with the exception of Non-Urgent, Supported Requests opened during Normal business hours.

The first part of my automation sets the field for "Supported Version" to either "Yes" or "No".  Then I have If statements for each set of 'variables'.  I've added audit log messages in my automation to more clearly see which if statement is being verified, and I'm a bit confused as to how an issue can pass an if or if/else block, but not match the conditions:

If/else block
The following issues passed:
TSM-4140
The following issues did not match the condition:
TSM-4140
I had initially tried setting this up using a smartvalue that I set at the start of the automation to set the Supported, OoBH/DBH/ and Urgency status, however it seems that those smart values don't work outside of the if statement they were created in, so now each if block is a bit wordy, but for instance the ticket TSM-4140 should have matched the if statement conditions.

Is there an issue with having my if statements check against the field status "Supported Version" if I'm changing that value at the start of the automation?
Thanks,
James

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Boldizsár Vermes June 22, 2023

@James K_ , my educated guess is that you need to re-fetch issue data if you want to count on a field value that is set after the automation started to run.

If this tip does not help, please share your rule with an audit log for further thoughts.

0 votes
William Rentfrow January 23, 2024

We have found instances where comparing two fields of the same type and with the same data fails, but putting the values into actual variables first and then comparing them works.  We've run into that mostly when trying to compare between two different product areas (e.g., Assets and JSM).

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 23, 2023

Hi @James K_ 

First, are you using Jira Cloud or Jira Server/Data Center with your automation rules?  I hypothesize you have Jira Cloud, as you mentioned variables.  The answer will impact possible suggestions to help.

Next, for a question like this, please post images of the complete rule and the audit log details showing the rule execution.  Those will provide context for the community to offer ideas.  When you do that, consider using a screen capture or browser addon which allows capturing a scrolling page in one image.  That will make understanding longer rules easier.

Until we see that information...

If your combinations of data which map to messages have <= 20 cases, you may want to consider using the new Lookup Table feature rather than many if/else statements.  Please look here to learn more: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Automation-articles/New-Automation-action-Create-lookup-table/ba-p/2311333

Kind regards,
Bill

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 23, 2023

Hi James,

Can you share the actual rule for us to take a look? And what exactly with it is not working. 

James K_ June 27, 2023

It's a bit trick to share the whole rule, as there are 13 if statements, and I can't scale the window over, but I'll share the start which checks for appropriate issue types, and sets the 'SaaS Ticket' field to "No" and sets the 'Last Customer Comment Date' to <Now> which is used for automated check ins in and shouldn't be of concern here:

img1.png

Next there is a check against "EDG-Product Related Request" issue types, which are handled.  The next major section looks to the selected version of the ticket and sets the field "Supported Version" to "Yes" or "No":

img2.png

Next I have the 8 sections checking the various combinations of Urgent, Supported, and Business Hours, in the example here, an Urgent Ticket, Supported Version, and Outside of Business Hours:

img3.png

For comparison, here's what the If statement for Non-urgent, Non-Supported, Inside of Business Hours looks like:

img4.png

The outcome of any of these If Statements besides one (supported, non-urgent ticket, during business hours - which I have set up an audit log message for) should be an automated message, which I've already checked and the comment visibility is set to 'Share with Customer'.

James K_ June 27, 2023

I had a previous automation that functioned, but due to the need to factor in more besides business hours and SaaS/Non-SaaS tickets, I needed to expand the number of if statements and break the rule into two.

The audit log for a ticket that I just opened as a test for Non-Urgent, Non-Supported, In Business Hours follows:

ACTION DETAILS:
ISSUE CONDITION
TSM-4143
EDIT ISSUE
Issues edited successfully
TSM-4143
LOG ACTION
Log
Next If Statement: Product Licensing
IF BLOCK
TSM-4143
IF/ELSE BLOCK
TSM-4143
IF BLOCK
TSM-4143
EDIT ISSUE
Issues edited successfully
TSM-4143
IF/ELSE BLOCK
TSM-4143
LOG ACTION
Log
Next If Statement: Urgent, Supported, OOBH
IF BLOCK
TSM-4143
IF/ELSE BLOCK
TSM-4143
LOG ACTION
Log
Next If Statement: Urgent, Not Supported, OOBH
IF BLOCK
TSM-4143
IF/ELSE BLOCK
TSM-4143
LOG ACTION
Log
Next If Statement: Non-Urgent, Supported, OOBH
IF BLOCK
TSM-4143
TSM-4143
IF/ELSE BLOCK
TSM-4143
TSM-4143
LOG ACTION
Log
Next If Statement: Non-Urgent, Not-Supported, OOBH
IF BLOCK
TSM-4143
TSM-4143
LOG ACTION
Log
Next If Statement: Non-Urgent, Not-Supported, INBH
IF BLOCK
TSM-4143
TSM-4143

The last section is the one which I would have expected the issue to pass, but it didn't.  Please let me know if there is an easier way to share the automation.  I've exported the rule as json, but am unsure how helpful that will be.

Sam Harding
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 27, 2023

Hi @James K_ 

Uploading the json of your rule could help here, but it also seems like there is some nuanced details at play here affecting your rule execution.

It may be more effective to raise this as a support request at  https://getsupport.atlassian.com/ so we can take a look at your use case in greater detail, and get to the bottom of the problem

Thanks
Sam

Like James K_ likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events