Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there an efficient way to generate sets of tasks based on an issue field?

Ryan October 29, 2020

I have a project where requests are logged for different areas of work.  Based on the area of the project, I have automations that generate sets of tasks linked to that request.

Currently, I have a number of automations that trigger on issue creation and check an issue field to determine what tasks to create.  This has led to dozens of automations running when an issue is created.  All but one will run in fractions of a second, but that's still time that adds up.

Because these tasks are being linked together in different ways based on which ones need to be done first, and we need for different sets of tasks per area, I cannot consolidate everything into single automation or use "Create sub-tasks".  

Is there a more efficient way to accomplish this?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 16, 2020

Hi @Ryan 

An approach seems related to what you are trying to improve.  For example,

• Are you trying to reduce the number of automation calls per issue creation?
  • How soon after issue creation do you need the additional tasks/sub-tasks?
  • Etc.

Unfortunately, rules are limited to 64 components (I believe) so no ginormous rule to cover all cases with if/else... and there is no action yet to call-out to another rule, as a sub-routine, to divide and conquer.

One alternative would be to use scheduled triggers, JQL, and an indicator field to say "processed".  Such as:

• Trigger: scheduled with JQL to select one area of work and for which the indicator is not set to "processed"
  • Action: add the tasks as needed
  • Action: set the indicator field to "processed" so it doesn't get processed again

You could schedule these as often as you believe you would need the tasks available.  And clone the rule for each area of work type.  The rules should only fire once per issue creation due to the JQL and the processed indicator.

Best regards,

Bill

Ryan December 1, 2020

My goal is to reduce total processing time.  With many automations firing when an issue is created, it feels like there's a lot of wasted time. 

I'm going to give a scheduled method a try.  That way, one will only run once a day rather than every time an issue is created.

Thanks for the idea!

Like Bill Sheboy likes this
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 1, 2020

Ryan, if this solution approach works out for you, please consider marking the question "answered"... that will help others in the community find answers faster to similar questions.

Thanks!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events