Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Celebration

Earn badges and make progress

You're on your way to the next level! Join the Kudos program to earn points and save your progress.

Deleted user Avatar
Deleted user

Level 1: Seed

25 / 150 points

Next: Root

1 badge earned

Collect

Participate in fun challenges

Challenges come and go, but your rewards stay with you. Do more to earn more!

Challenges
Coins

Gift kudos to your peers

What goes around comes around! Share the love by gifting kudos to your peers.

Recognition
Ribbon

Rise up in the ranks

Keep earning points to reach the top of the leaderboard. It resets every quarter so you always have a chance!

Leaderboard

Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Is there a way to send one email to one assignee with email body containing only assignee's issue

I have created one automation rule and I am trying to send a list of issues to the individual assignee through a single email but could not do that. Users are receiving multiple emails also they are receiving other's tasks details in the email body(See the second screenshot).

Is there a way where I can send a list of issues to each individual through a single email?

2022-07-27_22-58-23.png2022-07-27_22-55-55.png

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Darryl Lee Community Leader Jul 28, 2022

After proudly showing my solution to a colleague he commented: I was just using filters + subscriptions. To which I replied...

giphy

He's exactly right. That's way easier. And the emails look much nicer.

Your filter would be something like:

assignee = currentuser() and resolution is EMPTY

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-work-management/docs/work-with-search-results/#Workingwithsearchresults-subscribeSubscribetosearchresults

Yes, and...after you get the people to subscribe to the filter  :^)

2 votes
Darryl Lee Community Leader Jul 27, 2022

It would help if you can screenshot your entire rule.

If you are using a JQL condition then you need to take the email action *outside* of that condition because it's executing for *every* issue it finds.

Not sure why it's showing other assignee's issue unless there's a problem with your JQL.

So yeah, seeing the whole rule would let us better help you.

Darryl Lee Community Leader Jul 27, 2022

Sorry, I hadn't had enough coffee this morning. :-}

Upon re-reading your question, I'm guessing that you are doing a lookup of issues where Due Date IS EMPTY. 

So yeah, I think the problem is that unless you constrain the query to a single assignee (and then you'd have to create rules for every assignee), then it's going to (apparently) mail every assignee the list of everyone's issues.

@Darryl Lee Thanks for looking into this, here is the screenshot as you requested.Rule.png

@Darryl Lee I found a similar ticket https://codebarrel.atlassian.net/browse/AUT-1975,

but I am confused about whether this problem got solved or still exists, as per the task description it is not possible to send an email to one assignee with an email body containing only the assignee's issue. 

Could you please confirm? If it is got resolved then please tell me the solution.

Yeah, I don't think they should've closed AUT-1975 as a duplicate because while AUT-684, AUT-285, and AUT-105 are related they are not the same.

So yes, as I suspected, your query will always return a list with multiple assignees, and so there's no mechanism to iterate through each assignee and send a list with only their issues.

Hum, if you could iterate through the list of assignees, you could probably use filters to do something like:

{{#allassignees}}
{{#lookupissues}}
{{#if(assignee.accountId == allassignees.this.accountId)}}
* {{key}} | {{summary}} | {{assignee.displayName}} | {{url}}
{{/}}
{{/}}
{{/}}

But the problem is 1) I don't know how to get that list of assignees out of Jira, 2) I don't think you can have nested lists in Automation. :-/

Oh man! I'm getting close! Got the list of assignees and can iterate through it with Advanced branching, accessing {{lookupIssues.assignee.distinct}} like so (this is the "For each" section that shows up in the full rule at the bottom:

Screen Shot 2022-07-28 at 2.38.02 PM.png

But the problem then is my "filter" can't access the thisassignee variable within {{#lookupissues}} for the email body. I unsuccessfully tried:

{{#lookupIssues}}
{{#if(assignee.accountId == thisassignee.accountId)}}* {{key}} | {{summary}} | {{assignee.displayName}} | {{url}}{{/}}
{{/}}

(which gave each assignee a blank email)

and

{{#lookupIssues}}
{{#if(assignee.accountId == {{thisassignee.accountId}})}}* {{key}} | {{summary}} | {{assignee.displayName}} | {{url}}{{/}}
{{/}}

which failed with: 

Error rendering smart-values when executing this rule:

Here's what I'm working with. Any thoughts, @Bill Sheboy?

Screen Shot 2022-07-28 at 2.41.37 PM.png

Ah, think you solved this previously, @Bill Sheboy by adding another JQL query for each assignee. Clever. https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Smart-Value-Filtering-Comparing-Two-Lists/qaq-p/1959275

For option #3, you could use lookup issues and advanced branching to then notify the people...or send yourself n-emails (one for each person).  Here is an example rule to do this:

Let me give that a hack.

Yes, and...

I believe the requestor asked the same question in this other thread, where I also answered: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Automation-questions/Re-Re-1-Notification-per-assignee-via-Automation-on-Jira/qaq-p/2092384/comment-id/4502#M4502

Like vdhanorkar likes this

Success!

Full rule: Screen Shot 2022-07-28 at 3.01.18 PM.png

And details on the new second Lookup:Screen Shot 2022-07-28 at 3.01.08 PM.png

So there you have it. BTW, I corrected your original mail body @vdhanorkar because you had {{issue.summary}} when you just need {{summary}}.

Like Bill Sheboy likes this

Thanks @Darryl Lee , it works to me, thanks for looking in to it.

@Darryl Lee I tried to implement this using your latest screenshots. While the email itself looks perfect and does to the correct assignee, it sends it as many times as there are issues for the assignee. It's as though it's iterating through all the assignees in the first lookup rather than just the "distinct" assignees. I am running in Jira Cloud. Any ideas?

Disregard! I was using the Schedule trigger and have the habit of applying a JQL search there as well, so it was iterating through that. Removed it, and it works beautifully!

Hi @vdhanorkar

I think the alternative would still lead to running a multiple send email and lookup action etc. But branching out and specifying individual users could also work

@vdhanorkar @Bill Sheboy @Darryl Lee @Dan Tombs Hi guys need your help, I tried to build this automation but I get an empty assignee.displayName 2.png1.png4.png3.png

Hi @Benajmin Kun 

Please check your smart values in send email, as you have a typo in {{assignee.displayName}}

And...you seem to reference an issue's fields outside of the Lookup Issues iterator; before it specifically.  Try using {{thisassignee.displayName}} or {{lookupIssues.first.assignee.displayName}} for that one.

Kind regards,
Bill

Like Darryl Lee likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Atlassian Community Events