Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Include links within a Jira Template

Chen Qiu April 21, 2021

Hi there,

I recently found a way to create a Jira template utilizing automation. Essentially, every time I create a new Epic, I ask Jira to automatically generate a bunch of issues using the When issue is created-> if issue is an Epic -> then create Issue 1 -> create Issue 2 -> create Issue 3... 

So now among these issues, I also want to insert blocking links. For example, issue 3 is blocked by issue 1 and issue 2. However, when I put in the issue link field, I only have the options to either link it to the trigger issue (which is an epic, so I don't want that), or link it to the most recently created issue. But what if I want it to be blocked by two issues (issue 3 is blocked by both issue 1 and issue 2)? And what if issue 8 and issue 9 is each blocked by issue 7? What would the best way to achieve that?

Right now I don't have access to an external app such as Issue Templates for Jira, because it requires me to pay. So I'm just wondering if I could utilize automation to achieve this template.

Thanks!

Chen

2 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 21, 2021

Hi @Chen Qiu  -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

I can think of two approaches, although one has potential timing issues:

1. Use the {{createdIssues}} to access all of the issues created since the rule started.  If you know the order you may use the list functions to get at the one you want, or perhaps with match() and RegEx
  2. Query for the issues after they have been created, perhaps from another rule, to add the links.  This one potentially has the timing issues.

Best regards,

Bill

Curt Holley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 21, 2021

I agree with @Bill Sheboy and if you go with option 2, If in the second (part 2) automation rule (that would do the linking) you check the 👇 in the Rule details section the timing will be fine.

allow.png

0 votes
Answer accepted
Chen Qiu April 22, 2021

Hi @Bill Sheboy

This is super helpful information! I am interested in option 1 because I do know the order and what issues I created in this automation. Do you mind talking more about it? Where can i enter query and how do i incorporate match() and Regex? Any good example on these?

Chen

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 22, 2021

Hi @Chen Qiu 

Are you using the Cloud or Server/Data Center version of Jira?  There are different features available in each, and that will impact solution approaches.

As you know the order of creation, you may directly reference the issue using list functions, such as {{createdIssues.get(3).key}} without using match() and RegEx.  Please note that the lists are a 0-based array, so they are numbered as 0, 1, 2, 3, etc.

In case you are interested, here is the documentation on match() and there are links to RegEx help with each:

Cloud: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/smart-values-text-fields/#Smartvalues-textfields-match()

Server/Data Center: https://confluence.atlassian.com/automation/text-functions-993924863.html#Textfunctions-matchmatch()

Chen Qiu April 23, 2021

@Bill Sheboy hi Bill! Thank you so much for your help! I've successfully built in my links! So glad that I came up here and asked the community!! 

Like # people like this
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 23, 2021

I am glad to learn that helped!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events