Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In automation, can the description field be wiki markup instead of plain text?

Jonathan Smith
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 9, 2022

In Automation, one of my business units would like to modify the description field and insert @mentioned users before the issue is created.

• Description field displays as plain text in automation
  • The purpose of this is to not use the 'created' notification scheme and instead mention users on parent tickets so assignees don't get 50+ sub task emails.

Is there a way in automation to make the description field wiki mark-up so I can achieve what the business is looking to do? Is there a better way in handling notifications overall?

z.jpg

Thanks,

Jonathan

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 10, 2022

Hi @Jonathan Smith ,

In order to mention users in fields you have to use the user´s accountID.

See a detailed description below:

https://support.atlassian.com/cloud-automation/docs/jira-smart-values-users/#Mention-a-user-in-a-field

Best
Stefan

Jonathan Smith
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 12, 2022

@Stefan Salzl The test users got the notifications as desired (after I added them to the project...). Thank you for your assistance.

Like Stefan Salzl likes this
Jonathan Smith
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 13, 2022

@Stefan Salzl Can this process work for Atlassian teams as well? I tried to insert the ID for the team, but it comes up as unknown user. 

Jonathan Smith
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 13, 2022

Mentioning a team in the wiki description field works fine, but again, I am trying to do this in the automation description field ;)

4 votes
Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 9, 2022

Hi @Jonathan Smith - Automation doesn't have a wysiwyg editor.  However, if the field is configured for wiki renderer, you can pass formatting by using markdown.  For example, If I wanted to send something like:

My sample formatted text with:

• bullet 1
  • bullet 2

It would look like this:

My *sample* _formatted_ text with:
* bullet 1
* bullet 2

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events