Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I would like to automatically move a task and sub-tasks to a new status based on a time period,

Tom Howarth September 4, 2022

part of our workflow for completed tasks is that they currently sit in a status of Done for 7 days, during this time a task can be returned to In Progress for remediation.  after 7 days the task is moved into a status call closed.  I would like the automate the move from done to closed.

1 answer

1 vote
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 4, 2022

Hi Tom, welcome to the Community.

There are two options I would suggest.

1. if you can assume that the last update was transitioning to Done then you can use the JQL Status = Done and updatedDate >= -7d as a condition 
  2. if #1 isn't reliable and you must know when an issue transitions to Done then you need to consider creating a custom date field and use either a post function or automation to set the date field when it transitions to Done.

Personally I prefer #1 as it is cleaner. As you begin to create your automation if you get stuck let me know.

Tom Howarth September 6, 2022

Thank you for your response Jack,  do you have a link for a starter/howto for JQL please?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 6, 2022

Here is a link to the documentation- what-is-advanced-searching-in-jira-cloud . There are several articles you can use to learn JQL. I am happy to assist as well. If you run into issues just let me know your goal in words and I will try to turn it into a JQL for you.

cheers!

my high level goal on this is that once a task had been in status "done" for 7 days it will automatically move to status "closed"

The cherry on the top would be if this can be focused only on tasks and not subtasks.

I have a rule that once all sub-tasks are in status "done", the parent task will move to status "done."  I am just unsure what will happen to that rule if the sub-tasks are moved into a "closed" status before all the tasks are in done status.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 6, 2022

Question- as stated in my earlier post, can we assume that once a task is moved to the Done status no other updates will occur to it until it is moved into the Closed status? For example, could someone update a field or make a comment on the issue while in the done status? TBH, this is rarely a valid assumption for most scenarios. This is why my second option is likely the right approach. That is, create a custom field to record the date at which the issue moves into the done status.

For 99% of tasks that assumption is correct yes,  The 7 day cool down period is to cover for potential remediation work where a task/sub-task could be returned to "In-Progress" status

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events