I need some help with some an automation around release planning.

Tim Clark February 22, 2021

I'm setting up a release approval board, and I want to send an email to a specific list of people when all the issues and stories associated with a release are moved to done status. Is that possible in Jira?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 22, 2021

Hi @Tim Clark 

Just checking... Are you on the Cloud or Server version?

This should be doable by triggering on transition, scanning for any other issues with that fixVersion, and checking their status.  This may be more difficult if you have more than one value in the fixVersion field.  

Assuming you have one version, you could try this if your change approval is just in time:

• Trigger: Issue transitioned to Done (or the name of your completed or release approval status)
  • Action: Lookup Issues with JQL for issues with the same fixVersion and status not equal to Done... fixVersion = {{triggerIssue.fixVersion}} AND status NOT IN (Done)
  • Condition: check that {{lookupIssues.size}} is zero
  • OPTIONAL Action: Lookup Issues with JQL for issues with the same fixVersion to include the list in the email... fixVersion = {{triggerIssue.fixVersion}}
  • Action: send your email

If your change approval is a cadenced activity (e.g. every Thursday) you could use a scheduled trigger with JQL.  Perhaps something like:

project = myProject AND fixVersion = earliestUnreleasedVersion()

The scheduled trigger approach is much more difficult if you have multiple pending/unreleased versions at one time.  UPDATE: I changed the suggested JQL above to use earliestUnreleasedVersion() to help get just the next release.

Best regards,

Bill

Tim Clark February 24, 2021

Thanks, this is just what I needed.

Like Bill Sheboy likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events