Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am trying to create a rule that searches another project and links any issues found in that search

Allen Culpepper January 6, 2021

I am trying to create a rule that searches another project and links any issues found in that search to the trigger issue.

Also doing similar rules that pulls matching field data from one project and adds it to another projects issues field.

I don't see any rules or info on pulling data from another project to populate the current project.

This rule is ran from a different project than CSONE.

Screen Shot 2021-01-06 at 6.28.10 PM.png

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Tom Williams
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 7, 2021

Hi @Allen Culpepper 

The "Related Issue Condition" you are using only checks already linked issues on the trigger issue. 

What you need to do is run the rule from the trigger issue, perform a JQL to return the set of issues you want to link, and then perform the action on those issues returned in the JQL. 

Using a Branch Rule with "type of related issues" set to JQL and adding all projects you wish to include in the "Rule restricted to projects" field should work for you. 

Mocked it up for you below. 

Screenshot 2021-01-07 091715.png

Hope this helps. 

Tom. 

Allen Culpepper January 7, 2021

That worked thank you Tom!

Would I follow the same logic to pull a field value from the CSONE project over into my other project using smart values? I am on server version so not sure if that smart value is available. {{issue.custom_field_name}}

Tom Williams
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 8, 2021

Great. @Allen Culpepper I'd appreciate it if you could mark this as an accepted answer. 

David Leal
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 26, 2023

@Tom Williams  I don't understand how this could work, but maybe I am missing something, the question indicates the rule is running from a project different than CSONE and if the rule doesn't have a global scope, you cannot find issues in CSONE from a rule running from another project. Thanks fro any help.

1 vote
John
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 6, 2021

Hi @al ,

You need to setup the rule as a global automation. You can change the scope of the automation in the rule details to multi-project or global.
Screen Shot 2021-01-07 at 4.40.06 pm.png

Please be aware that unlike project rules there are monthly limits on how many times your global/cross project rules you can run. The limits will depend on your Jira plan (Free, Standard or Premium). You can read a bit more about usage and limits here https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/view-your-usage/

And you can compare the different limits for each Jira plan here
https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/explore-jira-cloud-plans/

Hope that helps!

- John

Allen Culpepper January 6, 2021

It’s actually already setup as global, it’s just that my team won’t leave it that way when I’m editing it so they change it then change back to global so I can run it. It shows the issue trigger as being from the CSONE project for both (same issue key) and never the project it’s ran from. 

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 7, 2021

Hi @Allen Culpepper 

Are you saying the people on the team are editing your global rule, changing it back to project-specific?

If so, this could be resolved with permissions.  Make the rule global, and ensure you manage who has site-admin permissions.  That will limit who can edit the global rules.

If this is not the case, would you please clarify the problem?  Thanks!

Best regards,
Bill

Allen Culpepper January 7, 2021

Hi Bill,

No it's not an issue, its just that we don't have admin rights and they lock us down so I have to ask for permission each time. :)

Thanks.

0 votes
Tom Williams
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 8, 2021

I'd need a bit more info to be sure what I'm suggesting will work for this....

Would I follow the same logic to pull a field value from the CSONE project over into my other project using smart values? I am on server version so not sure if that smart value is available. {{issue.custom_field_name}}

Sounds like you'd have a many to one ratio so is the value from {{issue.custom_field_name}} common on all the linked issues? If not you'd end up with the value from the latest linked issue in whatever order the rule runs. 

I've not found a way to copy field values across without running a linked issue trigger rule. So it will need to be an automated follow-on rule that runs after the manual trigger. 

Had a go a mocking it for you...

Screenshot 2021-01-08 094910.png

Allen Culpepper January 8, 2021

Yes this is what I need! It only should be one matching. Thanks so much.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events