Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use Jira automation to transition a ticket that is linked to another ticket

Sivaruban Kanagalingam February 16, 2022

Currently below is a ticket structure. M2-34 has two linked tickets (M2-35) & M2-36)

M2-34 (Story) -> M2-35 (Task 1) - with label 'Dev'

-> M2-36 (Task 2) - with label 'QA'

Workflow:

To Do -> Read for Work -> In Progress -> in Review -> Done

Objective: When ticket M2-35 is in 'Done' then transition M2-36 into 'Ready for work'

Would this be possible in Jira automation?

3 answers

0 votes
Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 17, 2022

Hi @Sivaruban Kanagalingam ,

Would need some more detailed information about your setting:

• are M2-35 and M2-36 Tasks (on issue level) linked in the story or SubTasks of the Story?
  • if linked: which type of linking do the have?
  • could you provide a screenshot of your Story and one of the tasks?

Thanks in advance.

Best
Stefan

Sivaruban Kanagalingam February 17, 2022

Hi @Stefan Salzl 

M2-35 & M2-36 are Tasks (on issue level) linked to Story (M2-34)
Linking: 'relates to'

Below is how it will look like. I have a Story that is liked Tasks (notSubTasks). Each of these functional teams have their own board.All Tasks are in 'To Do' status. So when the Dev Task is 'Done' then move QA Task to 'Ready For Work', for example.

Screenshot 2022-02-18 at 8.49.21 AM.png

Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 22, 2022

Hi @Sivaruban Kanagalingam ,

How is the dependency between those issues done? As these issues don´t have a parent/child relation how are the linked? That would be an important information to know how to call one issue from another one and finding an ideal solution.

Best
Stefan

Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 22, 2022

Is there any just cause to work with tasks instead of subtasks? The described setting seems to me as the good practice in Jira to formulate subtasks for work that implements the story. Furthermore this eases a lot of things in regard of transperency (as well as for automation).

Sivaruban Kanagalingam February 22, 2022

Hi @Stefan Salzl 

Basically, the Tasks will then appear on each respective team's board.

The tickets are linked based on 'related to' to a story ticket. I managed to get it work however currently looking for a way to have all the development tickets (Tasks with 'FE:Web' or 'BE') done state before transitioning Task ticket label 'QA' to Testing.

Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 23, 2022

hi @Sivaruban Kanagalingam ,

Unfortunately I can´t think of a fitting solution here. I´m not sure if jira automation is sufficient to solve this tricky and kinda complex setting of issue-linking as this would need to nest several branches. At least my current knowledge is not sufficient at this point.

Some more question to the issues/relation:

• Are those issues all in the same project? 
  • Are the different teams working in the same project? only viewing different boards within the same project?

Best
Stefan

Sivaruban Kanagalingam February 23, 2022

Hi @Stefan Salzl 

1. Yes, those issues are in the same project

2. Yes,Different teams working in the same project and only viewing different boards within the same project.

0 votes
Dave Bosman _Realdolmen_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 16, 2022

Hi @Sivaruban Kanagalingam 

First you will need to create a rule that will be triggered by the transition and does a check if the label is "Dev".  Add a new branch related to the parent. 

Depending on if you use server or cloud you want to start a different action

• In server you can trigger a new event.
  • In Cloud you could change a field to a specific value or something that can be used by a trigger that is not normally used in that specific project.

After that you can create a second rule that is triggered upon the event or change from the first rule. Again use the branch rule but this time target the subtasks and check if it has the label "QA". 

Don't forget to enable "Check to allow other rule actions to trigger this rule. Only enable this if you need this rule to execute in response to another rule." in the rule details.

Regards

Dave

Sivaruban Kanagalingam February 21, 2022

Hi Dave,

I am currently using Jira Cloud. All Tasks are same level as Stories (we are not using subtasks).

Currently got this work!.

Screenshot 2022-02-22 at 2.04.41 PM.png

Now the next step is how do I check to ensure that all development related tickets (labeled - FE:Web or BE) are done before moving the QA labeled tickets.

0 votes
Vishwas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 16, 2022

Hey @Sivaruban Kanagalingam 

We can do this via in Automation for Jira. A sample below i had written for our projects you just have to replace the Status in JQL and in action. Also another note is in Branch "For Linked Issue" Substitute the links of your issue. 

Automation_Transition_Sample.png

Hope this helps !!

Regards,

Vishwas

Jay Keck January 11, 2023

We have a situation where we are trying to transition linked issues, but the transition has a sil script validation that requires field X be filled in. Even though the linked issue does have this field filled in, the automation rule is failing during the transition saying that field X must be filled in. Field X in the linked issue isn't being modified in the automation rule, so how can I get past this failing validation? I'm guessing re-fetch won't do anything since it will pull in data from issue that triggered the rule, which isn't the linked issue.

Jay Keck January 17, 2023

I  found the solution to my problem. We had to use the advanced button to say ignore any transition validations since the customer's workflow had a transition screen associated with it that of course didn't get filled in with automated transition

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events