You're on your way to the next level! Join the Kudos program to earn points and save your progress.
Level 1: Seed
25 / 150 points
1 badge earned
Challenges come and go, but your rewards stay with you. Do more to earn more!
What goes around comes around! Share the love by gifting kudos to your peers.
Keep earning points to reach the top of the leaderboard. It resets every quarter so you always have a chance!
Join now to unlock these features and more
User Stories in project AA (AA-##) are linked to the service desk request issues that initiated them (SD-##).
I'd like to use the change of status of the AA issue from Backlog to In Progress to trigger a transition of the linked SD issue into an "Under Investigation" status. I assume this requires the automation to be in the AA project.
I've used a branch rule to find all linked issues, then a filter in the branch to find just the SD linked issue.
The "Under Investigation" status does not exist in the AA project, so in the branch when I try to transition to that status, it's not available in the list.
Can anyone suggest a way to achieve the outcome I'm after?
Hi @Dave Furlani!
This actually can be accomplished and @Deepak Rai was almost there but there was one important step missed.
After the If statement, you need to create a "New Branch/Branch Rule" component. Everything you are doing before and after the Branch is acting upon the issue that triggered the event.
In the Branch Rule, you want to select "Linked Issues" (you can even select the type of linked issue if you want to filter it further).
Within the branch, you may want to add another If statement to make sure the issue type is the expected type you want to transition, then add a new action to transition the linked issue to "Under Investigation"
I hope that helps!
I did get the rule based on my original thinking working, and I did have filters like you suggest so as not to update the wrong linked issues.
The trap that was stopping the status I wanted from appearing (as mentioned in my original post) was that the rule was not set to multi-project. With that in place, the statuses from both projects were available to select.
Also, after/in the branch the issues being worked on are the linked issues, not the trigger.
Hi @Deepak Rai ,
That's basically the automation I had tried to build, but it wasn't updating the linked issues in a project different to the trigger issue.
The trick seems to be to make the rule a Multi-project rule. It seems that a single project rule won't update issues outside of the project where the automation rule lives.
I'd love to be proven wrong, but that's what my testing seems to confirm.