Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to separate developer and Tester original estimate hours?

Gopinath October 28, 2021

Hi,

In JIRA there is single original estimate hours field,But i want to add developer original estimate hours and Tester original estimate hours separately in a same ticket. Is there any possibilities or possible solutions to achieve this??

2 answers

1 vote
Curt Holley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 28, 2021

I second what @Mykenna Cepek has advised and will add:

The simplest way to achieve this, is by giving the Developer and tester separate sub-tasks, where they can record their individual time, but have them roll up into the story to measure against the combined estimate for the story.

In the below example the Original estimate is on the Story, but the time is being logged in various sub-tasks. But if you prefer, use sub-task can have an original estimate and the story will show the total of those and again will show the combined progress.

This way, no extra fields are required and the built-in logic and reporting available by using Jira's "Time tracking" fields isn't compromised

OE.png

Mykenna Cepek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 29, 2021

I wholeheartedly support @Curt Holley's suggestion above. I've coached many teams to use Subtasks as a way to break out work (and track time) for the effort of different people towards the completion of the same Story or Task. Jira is built well to "roll-up" this data.

As a bonus, if you set your Board to use "Swimlanes by Story", you can get a really great visual representation of the progress on a Story, based on the status of the Subtasks under it.

Like Curt Holley likes this
1 vote
Mykenna Cepek
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 28, 2021

The "Original estimate" (as well as Time remaining" and other fields) are built-in fields for Jira, and they also relate to certain other metrics, reports, and integrations. Examples: some built-in reports rely on these fields; some time tracking App integrations rely on these fields.

Jira allows you to add Custom Fields. So you can create additional fields for recording the original estimated hours for specific types of team members. Just be aware that these custom fields will not relate to the built-in metrics, reports, and some integrations mentioned above. You can report on them, of course; custom fields can have a lot of value.

You probably want to think about how you want your additional custom fields to relate to the built-in fields. For example, one approach would be to fill in the built-in "Original estimate" field with the sum of your custom fields. Automation in Jira can easily handle that.

I can't tell which version of Jira you are using. (Tip: add tags to future questions to clarify that). Here's some documentation for creating custom fields in Jira Cloud: 

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/create-a-custom-field/

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events