Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to resolve permissions errors in Jira Automation?

Connor Skiro March 17, 2021

Screen Shot 2021-03-17 at 10.16.30 AM.png

I keep on running into permissions issues with enabling rules for some projects in particular. I checked the permission scheme and `atlassian-addons-project-access` does have Administer Project rights (in the Project Role). I am also an admin for this instance, so I should have all permissions as well. 

I'm reaching out to see if others have run into this issue before and if so, how did you resolve it?

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Connor Skiro March 18, 2021

After further investigation and help from Atlassian Support, we discovered that the error preventing me from adding that specific project to the global rule was not due to permissions issues, but it was because a recently archived project was still in the scope for that particular rule. 

Once I removed the archived project from the scope, I was able to add additional projects to that global rule without error.

There will be a feature request created from Atlassian's side to improve the error message in the future should anyone else run into this issue. 

Thank you @Hana Kučerová and @Darryl Lee for taking the time to view and assist in resolving this issue. I greatly appreciate it!

Best, 

Connor

Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 18, 2021

Hi @Connor Skiro ,

thank you for letting us know, this is very helpful, I really appreciate it.

Darryl Lee
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 18, 2021

Oooh, that's tricky about the archived project. Good to know.

0 votes
Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 17, 2021

Hi @Connor Skiro ,

if you want to edit issues using automation rule with actor Automation for Jira, "atlassian-addons-project-access" needs to be added to Edit Issues permission. Administer Project is not enough, see here for more info.

Hi Hana, 

Thank you for replying! It looks like your solution is already the case for this permission scheme, however, I am still getting that error when trying to publish the rule.

Screen Shot 2021-03-17 at 10.58.44 AM.png

Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 17, 2021

Hi @Connor Skiro ,

please, try to also check Resolve issues permission. I realized you are trying to set Fix versions, so you will also need this one. Thank you.

"atlassian-addons-project-access" has been applied to all permissions in that scheme, but still no luck. 

I ended up creating a support ticket and upon further investigation, I believe it may have to do with the project linking out to other projects/ boards where "atlassian-addons-project-access" may not have permissions. However, I'm still scratching my head on this issue as it hasn't occurred before and 15 other projects are using this rule.

Best, 

Connor

Darryl Lee
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 17, 2021

Screenshots of the whole rule, or relevant conditions, triggers, etc may help us debug further.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events