How to make a custom field readonly or disabled in Jira Automation action

Shiv Sharma April 24, 2023

I have a custom field with two values: Yes and No. Default is "No".

I would like to create an automation rule as follows:

When the value of the field changes to "Yes" then:

•  send and email
  •  make the field non-editable or readonly, so that the field value cannot be changed again.

The first action is easy. But I am not able to figure out how to prevent the field from being modified again. None of the currently available options for a new action seem to do this.

Any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks,

Shiv.

1 answer

1 vote
David Pezet April 24, 2023

Is this in a company managed project? You might try removing the field from the Edit screen, and instead only allow it to be changed from a Workflow Transition that loops back to the current status. Something like a transition "Set X to Yes" that sets the field, and then you would be able to add a Condition to that transition to only display that when that field value is not "Yes".

Shiv Sharma April 25, 2023

It is a company managed project. 

Thanks. Your workaround makes sense. However, it will be great to have a simpler solution (if there is one). 

David Pezet April 25, 2023

I would be stoked for something simpler too! Unfortunately, individual field security/permissions has been a long running request. IIRC there are a few third party apps in the marketplace that help, but otherwise we are left to control it through the transitions/screens. Please update your issue here if you happen to find something easier.

Shiv Sharma May 5, 2023

Will do. Thanks David. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events