Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to copy an Epic template and its issues including the Linked Issues creating new linked issues

craig_hill
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 30, 2024

Hello!

I'm looking for assistance with the best method to copy an existing Epic and all of the related sub-issues of that Epic as a new Epic such that it maintains all issues as well as all of the Linked Issues. However, I want the Linked Issues to be related to the newly created issues and not that of the template Epic issues.

I already have:

• An existing template Epic
  • Automation to create a new Epic and all sub-issues as new issues

I do not have:

• How to create links for the new issues based on the template issue links

Someone had suggested adding labels on the issue that Blocks the Blocked by issue. This seems tedious and not overly maintainable. Each ticket needs the label added as well as updating the rule for each.

For example:

• Linked Issues
    • Issue A is blocked by Issue B
    • Issue C is blocked by Issue D

• Tag Template Issues:
    • Issue A tag = blocked-1
    • Issue B tag = blocks-1
    • Issue C tag = blocked-2
    • Issue D tag = blocks-2
  • Automation (after the for-loop completes):
    • blocked would = "blocked-1"
    • the next if would be "blocked-2"
    • JQL would be updated to "blocks-2" for the label search
    • Keep going for the max number of relationships, if the template doesn't have any or only has a few, the if logic will fail to find the labels and skip that issue

I am not an administrator and will need to do this through the Jira automation UI. This is, at a high-level, how this is setup today.

jira_automation_1.pngjira_automation_2.png

Thank you for your assistance!

4 answers

1 vote
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 31, 2024

Hi Craig,

I would recommend the Deep Clone app in the Atlassian Marketplace. 

Marlene Kegel - codefortynine
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 1, 2024

Welcome to the community, @craig_hill. And thank you for recommending Deep Clone for Jira@John Funk.

It's indeed possible and quite easy to copy an Epic Template with Deep Clone for Jira. You can read more in our documentation.

Like # people like this
0 votes
Clara Belin-Brosseau
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 31, 2024

Hello @craig_hill

If you're seeking for an easier way to clone issues with their linked issues, you can try our app Elements Copy & Sync that allows you to clone and sync a full hierarchy of issues with all their content (summary, description, custom fields, comments, attachments, etc).

image (10).png

You can check our guide here.

The app is for free during 30 days (and it stays free under 10 users).

0 votes
Elizabeth.Johnson July 30, 2024

Hello, 

I have created 9 automations that do this. 

1. Create Epic 

2. Create Monthly Tasks and Assign them

- If any tasks were blocking each other and were right before/after each other then I add in the linking here. 

3. Add in Checklists (spread over two automations due to length)

4. Add in the dependencies (spread over two automations)

Please let me know if you want more detail happy to help more. 

JIRA.png

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/5556682

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/5556682

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 30, 2024

Hi @craig_hill -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

It is theoretically possible to use several automation rules to clone many parent / child issues and relink them correctly.  Although, and IMO, such solutions are brittle as they are prone to timing problems from branching, waiting for issues to be created, handling errors, etc.  The "trick" is ensuring all of the issues are created before any linking starts, and that often takes multiple rules executing over a window of time.

These difficulties are one reason why there are several marketplace apps to provide advanced cloning scenarios.

Another approach is to use a CSV import to create the issues, and then use an automation rule, checking things like those tags you described, to link them.

Kind regards,
Bill

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events