cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to clone Epics with Stories

Sduvvuri
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 17, 2023

For process specific stories, using Epics with template stories is a great approach. How can such Epics be cloned along with the stories? 

3 answers

3 votes
Mykenna Cepek
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 17, 2023

There are Marketplace apps you can add to your Jira that will do "deep clone" operations like this. You can try most of them out for free to see how they work, and/or explore the documentation for each app to find one that matches your needs (and price point). Here's one that we use.

Alternately, you can do a bit of "roll your own solution" with Jira Automation. You could define an automation rule that you can manually execute on an Epic, and it can clone that Epic and then iterate through the child Stories and clone each of them, putting them under the Epic.

For both of these solutions I'd suggest searching the Atlassian Community here for more info. Others will have discussed both apps that clone as well as automation for deep cloning.

0 votes
Clara Belin-Brosseau
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 10, 2024

Hello @Sduvvuri

If you're willing to use a third-party application, I can suggest trying our Elements Copy & Sync app that allows you to copy issues with all their content (summary, description, custom fields, comments, attachments, etc.) and their child issues.

You’ll be able to clone a hierarchy tree with all its issues at once.

Don't hesitate to try our app, it's free during 30 days and stays free under 10 users.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Kind regards,

Clara

0 votes
Luka Hummel - codefortynine
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 23, 2023

Hi @Sduvvuri and welcome to the community!

I'm Luka from codefortynine 👋

As @Mykenna Cepek already mentioned, there are solutions for your use case in the Marketplace.

Our app Deep Clone for Jira allows you to clone Epics and all their linked issues with its Epic/Tree Clone feature, including Stories. This ensures that the structure and relationships between your Epic and its Stories are preserved in the clone.

Should you encounter any issues or have further questions, feel free to reach out.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events