How to block the other user from editing the page when you are editing it.

Raj May 24, 2022

Let's say, the first user is editing the page and if the second user attempts to edit the page the same time, it should prompt some sort of message that the second user will have to wait until the edits from the first user are complete. In other words, the second user should not be allowed to edit the page until the first user saves the edits.

And when the first user clicks on the save button. It generates a slack or email to the second user informing that the first user is done editing the page.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 25, 2022

Hi @Raj, welcome to the Community!

Confluence collaborative editor lets multiple people edit a page at the same time, and the changes show up instantly for everyone editing the page. This is a feature of Confluence, and one I personally find extremely useful!

If you're on Confluence Data Center, it is possible to disable the collaborative editing feature for the entire instance: Administering collaborative editing .

On the Cloud side, there is no functionality to disable collaborative editing, and currently no marketplace plugins that lock a page for exclusive editing. It's possible that you could modify the page restrictions on the particular page to allow only yourself to have editing permissions, and then remove the restrictions after you're finished. This would be a manual process.

So those are the ways to do it - although I'm curious on the why. Are there particular regulatory requirements surrounding the ask?

Cheers,
Daniel

Raj May 26, 2022

Hi @Daniel Eads 

Thank you for the information. Sincerely appreciate it!.

To answer the Why---we have teams all around the world and there are times when edits were overwritten by other team members, ignoring the warning messages shown by the confluence...

Cheers,

Raj

Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 26, 2022

That sounds like *pre*-collaborative editing behavior. Do you know if you are on Confluence Server, and what version if so? Collaborative editing was released 6 years ago in Confluence 6, which is now past its end-of-life. If you are on a Confluence 5 server version, I would definitely recommend upgrading.

Raj May 26, 2022

I took your suggestion that you mentioned above and asked I.T. about it.

Seems like they will be migrating to Confluence Data Center (< 2 months). :)

There always is light at the end of the tunnel...lol

Thanks again for all of your help!

Raj

Like Daniel Eads likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events