Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to automate tasks linked parents ?

Nick Barone August 10, 2021

Hello, I have JIRA cloud and a project setup called Art Outsource. These tasks are linked to a parent issue . When I set the task to in progress or any other status change I want it to update the Parent ticket as well but I cannot figure out the correct automation rules to get it working. I know there is an issue because the parent issues come from different projects 

Here is what I have so far 

Work.jpg

Action details:

This rule was configured with a project restriction. You can change this restriction in the 'Rule details' section. Only issues from the following projects or project types will be considered:AO

Branch rule / related issues

Can't branch rule as it requires issues to have been previously created by this rule. More than likely you have not yet created an issue or the issue(s) were created in an another 'If' block or branch - these would then not be visible outside of that block/branch.

Any help would be fantastic , thank you

3 answers

0 votes
Nick Barone August 12, 2021

I think its def a permission thing Im having our IT look at it, thanks guys for a direction at least 

0 votes
Nick Barone August 10, 2021

Yes but my problem is it will not do it for issues OUTSIDE my project due to some project admin rights but im not sure where to set those

Darryl Lee
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 10, 2021

This rule needs to be managed from the Global automation rules interface:

https://YOURSITE.atlassian.net/plugins/servlet/ac/com.codebarrel.addons.automation/cb-jira-automation-rules

If you click on All rules you should be able to see your rule, and then edit it, expanding the Scope to the additional projects you would like access to:

Screen Shot 2021-08-10 at 3.54.53 PM.png

Note that if you are on the Free or Standard plan you will be limited to 100 or 500 multi-project/global rule executions per month:

(This info is buried in tables with awful pop-up windows here:
https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/premium
https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/features/automation)

Like # people like this
Darryl Lee
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 10, 2021

Finally found informational pages, instead of big old ads. :-/

(Yeah, I liked the web better when the fanciest thing you could do was tables.)

Like # people like this
Curt Holley
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 10, 2021

Nice one @Darryl Lee 

@Nick Barone if you can't evoke a global Automation rule, talk with your system admin, they will be able to empower it for you.

Darryl Lee
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 10, 2021

Oh man, good point @Curt Holley

Man, Atlassian really needs to build out their documentation for Cloud. I couldn't find documentation about Project administrators being limited to only creating Automations in their projects. 

There's passing mention of it in these FAQs:

Screen Shot 2021-08-10 at 9.36.57 PM.png

But that's an advertisement, not proper documentation!

Here's how Automation permissions are described for Jira Server (which is definitely different).

So it does like Cloud has this option as well:

Screen Shot 2021-08-10 at 9.43.31 PM.png

(That's from my test Cloud instance.)

Like # people like this
0 votes
Curt Holley
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 10, 2021

Hi @Nick Barone 

Welcome to the Atlassian community!

Wouldn't be as simple as this? (see below) and if you also want to update other fields you could add an "Edit issue" action and set that up to your liking.

auto1.pngFeel free to share more detail of the rules you have tried or the desired effect and we can assist you further. 

Regards

Curt

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events