Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to assign to someone who did not make the current transition via Automation for Jira

Muhammad Jahanzaib Tariq_ T-6074 February 22, 2023

Hi,

I want to assign to a user who made the transition before the current one. Let me give a scenario:

X sends the request for approval in the status ' Pending for approval' . Y approves it and does the 'pending for approval'----> 'Pending for action' transition.  So, now, after the request is pending for action, it should be automatically assigned to X.

Is there some way?

Please let me know. 

Thankyou,

Regards,

Jahanzaib

2 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 12, 2023

Hi @Muhammad Jahanzaib Tariq_ T-6074 

Are the issues assigned to your users X and Y in the respective statuses?  If so, you could select to assign to previous assignee in the rule.

Kind regards,
Bill

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ryan Northfield _Mumo Systems_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 22, 2023

Jahanzaib,

Automation should be able to solve your problem, however since you can't access the complete changelog of the issue directly from any triggered rule (see this ticket for reference), I think you'll have to implement the solution in a couple steps. Here is my idea (in short, store the prior assignee in a field to access when you need to):

1. Create a custom field of type "User Picker (single user)" and add it to the screen scheme/layout of your issue. (You could title it "Previous Assignee", which I reference below)

2. Create an Automation rule that (Trigger) When field value 'assignee' changes, then (Action) edit issue field 'Previous Assignee' to '{{changelog.assignee.from}}'

3. Create a second Automation rule that (Trigger) when Issue Transitioned from 'Pending for approval' to 'Pending for action', then (Action) Assign Issue to (select Smart value option in the drop down) '{{issue.Previous Assignee}}'

If you don't want people to accidentally edit this new field, you may have to make it uneditable. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events