cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Modify a parent issue with a value from a child issue

Cornelia Richter November 30, 2020

Hi,

I have the following problem:

A parent is having several linked children (not subtasks). The parent and the children have a field "Due Date". The parent shall always carry the latest Due Date of all of the children. If a child gets a later Due Date, then it's easy to check if that child's due date is later than the parent's due date and the parent's due date can be updated accordingly. 

But if a child's due date is set earlier than the parent's due date, then I need an automation that checks all children's due date and sets the parent's due date to the latest one. 

I don't see that this is possible with automation for Jira since I cannot change a value of the triggerissue with the value of the linked issue.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 1, 2020

Hi @Cornelia Richter 

To clarify what you are trying to do, would you please explain:

• When you indicate parents and children, not sub-tasks, do you mean Epics and Stories or Bugs?  Or some other way of organizing the issue relationships?
  • Why do you need to perform this additional check for earlier Due Date values?  If you check any created or edited issue for a Due Date later than the linked issue's (parent), wouldn't the later date would always "win".

Best regards,

Bill

Cornelia Richter December 1, 2020

1. these are linked issues.

2. I need to check any existing linked child issue (without editing) which one is the onr with the latest due date in order to copy that information to the linked parent

Like Keaghan Rilling likes this
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 2, 2020

Thanks for that information, @Cornelia Richter 

You are using links rather than the built-in parent/child relationships, so you can use JQL in a branch to find the related items.  You can then test if the "child" items have a later date and update the "parent".  With the server version, if you need any temporary storage during the rule execution, consider adding custom fields or properties to help.  (With cloud version, you could instead use Create Variable.)

For any linked children added before the rule was created, you could use a one-time rule with a scheduled trigger (or a manual trigger) to find and update the parent for those children as well.

One good way to get help on rules is to build the rule, note what is/is not working, and then post an image of the rule in your question.  That will help the community provide more targeted ideas for you.

Thanks,

Bill

Cornelia Richter December 2, 2020

thanks for answer, I have considered the mentioned solution already.

I will  post a snip of the automation next time

Ankita Sen Roy March 30, 2023

Hi @Cornelia Richter it would have been really helpful to have the snip of it.

I know its long ago - a snip or the JQL would have helped me solved my issue.

Thanks,

Ankita Roy

0 votes
Laura Campbell _Seibert Media_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 1, 2020

Hi @Cornelia Richter are you on Server/DC or Cloud?

Cornelia Richter December 2, 2020

Server

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events