Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I transition an issue to the next workflow state?

Alec Burton November 7, 2022

I have a very simple workflow:
When: Value changes for - Smart Checklist Progress
If: Compare two values - {{issue.Smart Checklist Progress}} matches (^$|.*Done}
Then: here's where I need help
Transition the issue - Currently, I have selected Done however, what I would like is for the issue to transition to the next state in the workflow.

How would I go about accomplishing this task?

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 7, 2022

Hey Alec,

You will have to name the actual status you are transitioning to - you can't just say next step, because there might be multiple steps in some workflows. 

Hello John, thank you for your reply.

Each status has its own name. Is there a way to check if the next transition in the workflow is 'Done'?

For instance, this workflow is linear and each status has to be transitioned to, the checklist is completed, and then the workflow is transitioned to the next status in the workflow.

Is there a way that I can add a comparator to check if the next workflow status is 'Done' or 'NameOfStatus'?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 7, 2022

No, there is no concept of "next status" in automation, because again, a status might go to multiple statuses or there might be statuses with the All transition to them. It's not possible. 

Is there something you would suggest that would better help me accomplish this task? My primary goal is to transition a task automatically through its workflow when all of the smart checklist tasks have been completed.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 7, 2022

I would suggest you do a series of IF/THEN conditions:

IF status = BACKLOG then transition to In Progress

IF status  = In Progress then transition to Test

Etc. 

Like Alec Burton likes this

So I've now run into the issue where the issue only seems to transition a single time, even if the automation rule has multiple transitions.

I have if status = order computer && smart checklist = done then transition to setup account.

if status = setup account && smart checklist = done then transtion to configure system

if status = configure system && smart checklist = done
then transition to done.

However, I only ever get to the setup account status. Any ideas? Should I pose this as a new question?

Lynne Ratcliffe November 8, 2022

I believe If the first check is met the rule will stop. As this is a checklist, the first check will be met each time. Try using branches for each as I believe they run separately.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 8, 2022

Can you share the actual rule that you have so far?

Alec Burton November 8, 2022

When: Value changes for - Smart Checklist Progress
If: Status is one of - Order Computer
And: Compare two values - {{issue.Smart Checklist Progress}} matches (^$|.*Done)
Then: Transition the issue to - Setup Accounts
If: Status is one of - Setup Accounts
And: Compare two values - {{issue.Smart Checklist Progress}} matches (^$|.*Done)
Then: Transition the issue to - Configure Computer
If: Status is one of - Configure Computer
Then: Transition the issue to - Done

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 8, 2022

Can you share a screenshot of the actual rule? 

automation_rule.png

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 8, 2022

You should use the IF/ELSE condition - Sorry for the confusion there. 

It would look like this:

Screenshot.png

Like Alec Burton likes this

I'll give this a try and update! Thank you for the clarification.

edit: The IF/ELSE-IF clauses were the solution.

Like Lynne Ratcliffe likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 8, 2022

Yeah, that was my mistake in calling it IF/THEN off the top of my head - sorry about that again. This should do the trick for you. 

0 votes
Olena Brazhko_Railsware_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 8, 2022

@Alec Burton hey!

Check out our article about how to Transition an issue to the next state when all the checklist items are completed

However, you would still need to choose the "destination" status. 

If you need more assistance from our team, feel free to reach out to smartchecklist@railsware.com.

Best regards,

Olena

Thanks for the reply! I had actually come across this article when I was first creating this automation rule and it helped me a lot.

However, the automation rule that I created became more complicated and I needed additional help.

Olena Brazhko_Railsware_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 9, 2022

@Alec Burton hey!

I'm glad to hear you have figured it out!

Have a great day,

Olena

0 votes
Lynne Ratcliffe November 8, 2022

I believe If the first check is met the rule will stop. As this is a checklist, the first check will be met each time. Try using branches for each as I believe they run separately.

Sorry, meant to answer in the thread above.  Updated

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events