Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I stop automation to create a duplicate ticket if it already exists?

Abhishek April 18, 2023

Let me define the use case:

We get change requests/suggestions from our clients and the CSM team creates a ticket with this change request on a project called 'CONS'

The product team reviews the 'CONS' ticket and decides if we need to take up these change requests/suggestions. If we decide to take the task, we move the ticket to 'Selected for development' and also decide the teams, who have their own different project boards, that will need to work on it.

I want the automation to create a duplicate ticket in individual team boards so that the different teams can work on it. I also want these duplicate tickets to be linked to the main 'CONS' ticket.

I was able to achieve this with the automation shown in the screenshot attached. But there was a flaw, any time I edited the 'team responsible' field, automation would again create a duplicate ticket.

For example:
When Status=selected for development AND Team responsible selected = 'WEB' and 'DESIGN'

Then two duplicate tickets are created, one in WEB and another in DESIGN board, both of which are linked to the CONS ticket

If I accidentally remove DESIGN from the team responsible field, the automation would run again and create another WEB ticket which was already there.

Any help on this is appreciated! 
Thanks.

Screenshot 2023-04-18 at 3.34.05 PM.png

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 18, 2023

Hi @Abhishek -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Is this a project scope or a global/multi-project scope rule? 

• If this is project scope rule, you could add an "indicator" to the trigger issue, such as a custom field or comment, specifying the cloned-to teams.  And then use rule conditions to prevent adding duplicates once already created.
  • If this is a multi-project/global scope rule, you could instead check for the existence of the issue in the target clone-to project, and only clone if it is not found.

Kind regards,
Bill

Abhishek April 20, 2023

Hi @Bill Sheboy, I did it and I was able to figure it out.

Thank you so much.

Like Bill Sheboy likes this
0 votes
Abhishek April 20, 2023

For anyone who is facing the same issue, I am posting an image below of how I was able to fix this.

Screenshot 2023-04-20 at 6.30.41 PM.png

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events