Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I match a ticket with the build successful trigger?

Henry Yei March 29, 2022

I am trying to transition tickets from from one status to another when an associated  build is successful.

However, I am unclear on how a ticket is matched to run the automation when a build is successful. None of my tickets are being matched, I can see in the audit log:

Action details:
Advanced compare condition
The following issues did not match the condition:
TIC-3407
Where does the build need to reference the ticket in order to be matched? Is it the value in build.name, or branch.name smart value only, or elsewhere?
The build is showing up in the above the "Development" section of the JIRA ticket as successful under the Github Actions section.
The TIC-3407 is in a commit message which is part of the branch that is being built. I assumed that if the appropriate build was showing up as part of the tickets development section, it was was associated and would work with the trigger, is this not supposed to be true?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mark Chaimungkalanont
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 4, 2022

The TIC-3407 is in a commit message

This should automatically link the ticket and if you use the "Build successful" trigger.

As far as smart values go, the best way to debug is to add a "log action" and output the smart value to the logs to see the details.

https://support.atlassian.com/cloud-automation/docs/debug-an-automation-rule/

We should have the "build" object available. You should try adding the debug 

Build: {{build}}
Name: {{build.name}}
URL: {{build.url}}
State: {{build.state}}

Hope that helps!

0 votes
Henry Yei May 12, 2022

Screen Shot 2022-05-12 at 1.28.47 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-05-12 at 1.27.59 PM.png

I had only added build.url and build.refs, will be adding the rest of the smartvalues for the build object for further data.

Henry Yei May 12, 2022

I didn't realize that the branch smartvalue is only available for when the branch is created, so it was matching nothing. For the simple notification  in this example, I should just put a slack notification webhook in github action, but I had wanted to do other jira related actions when code related to jira tickets were merged into a branch. It does not like this functionality is available. 

0 votes
Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 30, 2022

Hi @Henry Yei ,

For better understanding and analyzing the problem:
Could you please provide more date? --> screenshot of your rule and audit log would be great to see what happens.

Best
Stefan

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events