Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I create a ticket on another board based on using Deep Clone and Automation Rule

Carol Wesolowski October 26, 2023

Problem:

I have a Task ticket with several sub-tasks that I Deep Clone (in the existing project) that I want to create a new ticket in another project based on the newly cloned sub-task ticket?

Here is the latest version of my Automation Rule

Automation rule.png

The audit logs shows that no actions were performed because the issues did not match the condition.  The following is the history of the cloned task that I want to apply the automation so that it creates a new ticket on another project's board. 

History.png

Any insights are greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 26, 2023

Hi @Carol Wesolowski 

First thing, I am not using the Deep Clone addon, and so my suggestion is based on what I know about automation rules.  With that disclaimer out of the way...

Based on what you show, it appears that addon does what I expect: it uses the REST API to clone the issue, and sub-tasks, one after another...which takes time.

And, there is a known issue with the automation rule trigger Issue Created: it can fire so quickly that the data for the issue is not yet available at the time the rule starts.  That manifests symptoms like conditions / actions / branches not working as expected. 

The normal work-around for that (regardless of addons) is to always add the Re-fetch Issue action after the trigger, slowing down the rule and reloading the data.

Putting those things together (and without seeing your rule's audit log), I suspect this is a similar timing problem.  Please try adding the Re-fetch Issue action immediately after the trigger to observe how that impacts the rule execution.

Kind regards,
Bill

Carol Wesolowski October 26, 2023

Hi Bill,

Ah, that was exactly my thoughts that the automation was firing before the conditions where meet.  Appreciate the suggestion of the Re-fetch I did not know this existed.

~Cheers, Carol

Like Bill Sheboy likes this
0 votes
Luka Hummel - codefortynine
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 30, 2023

Hi @Carol Wesolowski

I'm Luka from codefortynine.

Depending on the way you are using Deep Clone for Jira, you could use Deep Clone to trigger the Jira Automation with an Incoming Webhook as described here. Be aware that this would trigger the automation on all cloned issues. You would need to add an IF-check, so your action only run on cloned subtasks.

Otherwise, you probably need to design the automation, so it only triggers on subtasks in the first place.

Let me know if you could achieve your goal with your automation.

Carol Wesolowski October 30, 2023

Hi Luka,

Appreciate the other option.  At the moment I do not have the automation working to create a ticket on another board, but will have time to try this later today.

~Best, Carol

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events