Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I create a rule to automatically assign a hard coded value to a field in Jira?

John Chiappetta February 23, 2024

I want to be able to assign a value to a field that will stay constant every time we create a new issue.  For example, we have a field called application and when a new Jira issue is created, I would want to application field to be updated to "Blackhawk".  Just need to know the steps.  Thanks in advance.

Ghostrider

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 23, 2024

Hi John,

Create a rule with an Issue Created trigger. 

Then add any Conditions needed. If this happens every time the an issue is created, but only on a certain project, then make it a single project rule and you wouldn't need any conditions - unless it only happens for certain issue types, for example.

After any needed Conditions, then add an action for Edit Issue. 

Select the Application and then put Blackhawk in the blank are for the field. 

John Chiappetta March 6, 2024

Thanks John, this is exactly the answer I was looking for John as i followed your steps and it worked like a champ!!!  Thanks again for your help in this matter and for providing the workflow in your answer!!!

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 6, 2024

Glad it helped. And you are welcome.

0 votes
Kalyan Sattaluri
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 23, 2024

@John Chiappetta 

Constructive criticism - Please take a moment to look around the forums to learn how to ask a question.

Your post tell us nothing about your familiarity with automation nor what this field type is.

I would expect you to tell what this field is where you want to hard code "Blackhawk". Is it a drop down or a text field. If text field, what is the name? If Dropdown, do you know the ID of the value. Have you started this rule or you want us to start from scratch. You know, the basics to help you.

John Chiappetta March 6, 2024

Kaylan, I am glad you replied, but your answer has ZERO value in providing me insight on the steps.  Sounds like you were a bit upset that I did not look around the forum, so assumming I did not follow your way of asking for help seems a bit ironic, in that you want to criticize someone with really weak assumptions and limited knowledge based on the pre-requisites sited in your response.   I would strongly recommend you enroll in Empathy Workshops and learn how to give help.  Constructive Criticism when provided correctly balances tone, options to how to provide solutions, and is given with a servant-leader mindset.  Practice this with others before you give advice on this site.  Funny , my post did provide enough for a tenured rep Atlassian to know what I was looking for. 

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events