Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can we make story points mandatory before an issue moves from one workflow status to another?

hassan_ahmed February 10, 2021

Is it possible to automate a rule in Jira where story points must be added before any issue (task, subtask, bug) is moved from one workflow status to another?

For example, given task A is 'in progress' and does not have any story points assigned to it. When I attempt to change its status to 'in test' then it asks for me to add story points.

I hope this makes sense.

Many thanks.

2 answers

3 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 10, 2021

Automation is more like a "post function" as it happens after the transition not before. So you need to build this restriction into the workflow. You could do this using a Validator in the workflow. You can use one of the below whichever meets your needs and then choose Story Points.

2021-02-10_11-36-33.jpg

1 vote
Iago Docando
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 10, 2021

Edit the desired transition from your workflow configuration screen

Each transition can have conditions or validators, as well as postfunctions. The first two are the relevant points for this matter.

• with a condition: the transition button won't even be visible until the condition is met.
  • with a validator: you can click the button but unless the validation conditions are met the transition won't execute.

I'm not sure right now if "story points" is a parameter you can use to define either of those parameters in jira "right out of the box" (you might) but I'm positive you can find some plugins / apps in the marketplace to extend workflow edition capabilities in case you need it.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events