Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can i use Jira automation to update a date field based on another date field

Sameer Mohamed April 23, 2024

Hi Everyone,

I have a field A "date field" and i want to auto populate field B " Which is also a date field".

Example : Field A = Resolution Date then i want to auto update Field B = Closed date.

Whichever date is resolution date i want it to automated as closed date too.

Please share your views on how to do it.

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Sameer Mohamed April 27, 2024

Hey everyone,

I have figured out the solution.

I used Trigger as "Field Value Changed"
Then : Edit issue -> Copy "field Value A" to "field Value B" 

0 votes

Requirement is,

Whenever Resolved Date (custom field with dates) is updated then Closed Date field should be automatically updated as same as Resolved Date field.

To achieve this, please guide me.

0 votes

Hi @Tim Perrault 
Thanks for sharing your insight. I tried something with Field Value change as trigger

When : Value Changes for - Resolved Date "2024/04/24"

Then : Edit issue fields - Closed date {{now}}

Is this right?

0 votes
Tim Perrault
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 23, 2024

Hi @Sameer Mohamed 

You could try setting the date field to Now when the issue's resolution field is set or the issue is transitioned to resolved. You can't copy the date, but you could set the date as the relative "now" which would give you as close a date as you could get without the ability to copy.

Hi @Tim Perrault 
Thanks for sharing your insight. I tried something with Field Value change as trigger

When : Value Changes for - Resolved Date "2024/04/24"

Then : Edit issue fields - Closed date {{now}}

Is this right?

Additionally what will happen is Resolution date is updated as 2 days later and if we use {{now}} will it pick current date or 2 days later?

Tim Perrault
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 25, 2024

Just want check some things. Is Resolution date the system field or is this a custom field? Is the Resolution date manually set or is it set when you resolve the ticket through the workflow? Is Closed date a custom field?

Sameer Mohamed April 25, 2024

Resolved date is a custom field & Closed date is also a custom field.
Resolution date is manually set, more like updating ETA. If can be current date or week later. Whatever date is set in custom field (Resolved date) then it should reflect in (Closed Date) custom field. All are date fields.

Thanks in advance @Tim Perrault 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events