Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How can I pull the email address from the Description section of an Issue for an anonymous user?

I created an Issue Collector for our Front Door Request process. The Issue Collector was embedded in a Wiki page. 80% of employees submitting a request will be Anonymous. How can I capture their email in the Description section so I can setup an Automation that will send them notification as the issues transitions from Open Status to Closed?

I am a Project Administrator (not a Jira Admin). Below is the results of smart values query:

Description: {{issue.fields.description}}

Description:

Test

*Reporter*: Carl Vernon

*E-Mail*: [mailto:cv1356@abc.com]

I have tried the following without success:

Email: {{#issues}}{{issueCollector.email}}{{/issues}}
Email: {{issue.MailtoCustomer.value}}
Reporter: {{issue.description.match("Reporter:\s(.*)")}}
Email: {{issue.description.match("E-mail:\s(.*)")}}
Email: {{issue.description.match("([a-z]+@[a-z]+\.[a-z]{2,4})")}}
Email: {{issue.description.email}}

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted

I figured it out. I used a Smart Value string query to pull the email from the Description section of the Issue Collector:

{{issue.description.substringBetween("o:","]")}} 

Description:

Test

*Reporter*: Carl Vernon

*E-Mail*: [mailto:cv1356@abc.com]

RESULTS: cv1356@abc.com

I then created an automation with the Create Trigger and used the Smart Value string query in the To: field of the Send Email component.

Capture.JPGCapture2.JPG

I was looking for this for ages... thank you! 

Here is a smart value to extract Name from the issue collector as well: {{issue.description.substringBetween("*: ","\n")}}

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Automation

New to Jira Automation - goodbye Cron (sort of), hello new project created trigger, new additions to

Hey Everyone! Simeon from the Automation team here. I'm delighted to share some new features and improvements that we are shipping to Jira automation (Cloud only). Firstly, @Sam Harding&nbsp...

2,869 views 10 23
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you