Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I pull the email address from the Description section of an Issue for an anonymous user?

Ileana Reyes-Buchholz October 30, 2020

I created an Issue Collector for our Front Door Request process. The Issue Collector was embedded in a Wiki page. 80% of employees submitting a request will be Anonymous. How can I capture their email in the Description section so I can setup an Automation that will send them notification as the issues transitions from Open Status to Closed?

I am a Project Administrator (not a Jira Admin). Below is the results of smart values query:

Description: {{issue.fields.description}}

Description:

Test

*Reporter*: Carl Vernon

*E-Mail*: [mailto:cv1356@abc.com]

I have tried the following without success:

Email: {{#issues}}{{issueCollector.email}}{{/issues}}
Email: {{issue.MailtoCustomer.value}}
Reporter: {{issue.description.match("Reporter:\s(.*)")}}
Email: {{issue.description.match("E-mail:\s(.*)")}}
Email: {{issue.description.match("([a-z]+@[a-z]+\.[a-z]{2,4})")}}
Email: {{issue.description.email}}

1 answer

1 accepted

7 votes
Answer accepted
Ileana Reyes-Buchholz November 3, 2020

I figured it out. I used a Smart Value string query to pull the email from the Description section of the Issue Collector:

{{issue.description.substringBetween("o:","]")}} 

Description:

Test

*Reporter*: Carl Vernon

*E-Mail*: [mailto:cv1356@abc.com]

RESULTS: cv1356@abc.com

I then created an automation with the Create Trigger and used the Smart Value string query in the To: field of the Send Email component.

Capture.JPGCapture2.JPG

Krzysztof Skrzypczyk April 28, 2021

I was looking for this for ages... thank you! 

Here is a smart value to extract Name from the issue collector as well: {{issue.description.substringBetween("*: ","\n")}}

Prasad Kawadkar March 31, 2022

This is amazing and super helpful.

Thanks @Ileana Reyes-Buchholz

Vikas Gupta June 28, 2022

Hi @Ileana Reyes-Buchholz @Krzysztof Skrzypczyk  @Prasad Kawadkar Thanks for this great tip. I've successfully configured the automation rule in my JIRA cloud instance and the audit log says the email has been sent. However, I don't see anything in my inbox. Can you please share what am I missing?

Like Mukesh Kumar Bari likes this
Ileana Reyes-Buchholz June 28, 2022

Did you set yourself as the Default Reporter? This will also make it possible to setup future automations for Anonymous Users.

Hi @Ileana Reyes-Buchholz  Due to the integration between qTest and JIRA, yes the default reporter comes as my name. however, I followed this method to send email to non-jira users. so I was pulling the substring email from the description. The reporter shouldn't really matter. For testing purposes, I gave my email address in the description field. 

It actually worked. I think it as an issue with one particular jira ticket. thanks for the help. 

Ileana Reyes-Buchholz June 28, 2022

Great - so glad it worked for you.

Mukesh Kumar Bari
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 2, 2023

I followed the same, the Automation rule runs successfully but the mail is not being sent, I tried giving a specific mail too but no luck.
Please help.

Nicolás Figueroa April 11, 2023

Check on the Spam folder.

Like Mahender Kumar likes this
Nikhil Bhat January 8, 2024

Can someone please add the steps involved in adding the smart values in Issue collector

Dave Symonds March 14, 2024

Here is a smart value to extract Name from the issue collector as well: {{issue.description.substringBetween("*: ","\n")}}

I have experimented with this one and was wondering why it only seems to pick up the Reporter: inserted by the issue collector (the result I wanted) bit not text earlier in the description box that also has Reporter:

The email one is fine as the mailto: prefixes the email address even though you cant see it in the Description box unless you hover

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events