Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I create To Do issue type when an EPIC is created using JIRA automation?

Saili March 6, 2024

So my requirement is, whenever a user creates an EPIC in a project, the child issue of type 'To Do' should be created using automation rule.

Purpose: For tracking the progress of an EPIC through the To Do lists inside it.

I tried by using this:

When: issue is created

If issue type= Epic

Then: Create a new To Do

Here's the snapshot of the Automation rule that I have defined on my side:

2024-03-12_11h58_38.png

This is failing

But if instead of To Do, if I am defining issue type as create a new 'sub task'

Then is it working...

I would be grateful if anybody shares a workaround

This is the Audit Log:

2024-03-06_16h32_52.png

I have already selected an option to derive the 'Component' field from the EPIC, then too getting this error and the To Do is not created.

2024-03-06_16h49_39.png

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 6, 2024

Hi @Saili -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

For a question like this, please post an image of your complete automation rule, images of any relevant actions / conditions / branches, an image of the audit log details showing the rule execution, and explain what is not working as expected.  Those will provide context for the community to offer ideas.  Thanks!

Until we see those...

If your rule is creating the new issue and copying from the trigger issue, this may be a timing problem in the rule.

The Issue Created trigger can fire so quickly that some data may not yet be available to the rule, leading to errors or unexpected results.  The fix / work-around for that is to always add a Re-fetch Issue action immediately after the Issue Created trigger.  This will slow down the rule a bit, reloading the issue data before the other steps continue.

Kind regards,
Bill

Saili March 12, 2024

Thanks a lot @Bill Sheboy 
I realized where the actual problem was. This hint helped me: "always add a Re-fetch Issue action immediately after the Issue Created trigger".

Like Bill Sheboy likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events