How can I access BigPicture hierarchy links via PluginAccessor (or other scripting method)?

JosieWolfe August 26, 2021

I am trying to use ScriptRunner to access BigPicture hierarchy links.  They are not stored as regular Jira Links, so I'm assuming I need to use a function of PluginAccessor, but my best guesses have not been successful. 

I've tried pluginAccessor.getEnabledPlugins()  which doesn't give me an error, but then I can't seem to figure out the functions to actually access BigPicture information.

I've tried getBox(), getallBoxDescendantTasks(), etc., based on similar commands for the JQL filters, but get errors for all.

I've searched for information online, but I'm not finding anything.  If anyone could point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated.

1 answer

0 votes
Anna-BigPicture
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 30, 2021

Hi @JosieWolfe

I've noticed that you have raised a support ticket via our Service Desk.

Currently, our agents are intensively working on providing you with a solution. Once your case is resolved, you can share the outcome with the Community.

JosieWolfe September 13, 2021

The result of my support ticket was that BigPicture does not support any API access via ScriptRunner or other scripting tool.  They said that they are planning, in a future release, to add functionality to be able to automatically duplicate the BigPicture hierarchy links with Jira links.  This would enable a workaround for many scripting needs because we could then script to look for the Jira links instead of BigPicture links, however, I would strongly recommend that BigPicture consider adding API access.  This type of flexibility  is one of the primary selling points of the Jira product as a whole, and for this tool to completely block that flexibility is a significant drawback of your tool in my opinion.

Daniel Turczanski - __JQL Search Extensions
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 16, 2021

Hi @JosieWolfe 

Why not use a JQL filter as a source of issues in the box? This way you should be able to get a list of issues by executing the filter.

Adam _SoftwarePlant_
Marketplace Partner
September 16, 2021

Hi @JosieWolfe 

Thank you very much for your valuable feedback. It is true that when it comes to API matters in BigPicture, we do not have any public API so that our customers can use since it changes from release to release, however, we are working really hard to make it happen, and I hope that we will be able to share the good news about this soon. I will also pass your feedback to our Product Management so that they are aware of this.

I hope this helps Josie!

Have a good one and best regards,

Adam

JosieWolfe September 22, 2021

@Daniel Turczanski - __JQL Search Extensions I am trying to do scripted automation, not just generate a list of issues.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events