Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Get the value of Location from issue description and send email to the correct team

sharos_pillai July 28, 2024

Team:  Facilities

Location of Workstation: Top Ryde

Is this person a Manager of other staff: No

The above is from the description field in JSM.  I want to be able to get the Location information and send an email to the correct team depending on the location. If the location is Top Ryde, then send mail to DL:Top Ryde, if the location is Box Hill, then send mail to DL: Box Hill. If there is no location mentioned, then do not send a mail.

Thanks

SP

2 answers

0 votes
Timothy
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 28, 2024

thanks....

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 28, 2024

Hello @sharos_pillai 

Is that the only content in the Description field?

Will the prompt text always be in that order?

Could there be any variation in the prompt or response text, such as variations in the case used, spelling, or spacing?

I believe it would be possible to parse the field to pull out the location text, if there is consistency in the prompt text. If there might be variations then it would be more challenging.

What event would trigger the automation rule? Are there additional criteria that should be applied to determine if the rule should run, besides finding the specified text in the location field?

What if the Description field content is changed after the rule runs?

Employee Details

First Name: Joe

Last Name: Joe

Preferred Name: Joe

Start Date: 13/08/2024

Team:  Facilities

Location of Workstation: Top Ryde

Is this person a Manager of other staff: No

These are the information in the description field.

There could be about 5 location of workstations that can be specified, Top Ryde, Box Hill, Dundas, Ermington & Haymarket.

The trigger event should be when the issue is created in Jira.  

The rule should only be run when the location has a value and not when location has no value.

Thanks

Sharos

Like John Funk likes this
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 28, 2024

Is the content of the issue always going to contain all of those prompts in that order? Is the case, spacing, and spelling going to be consistent or might there be variations?

How are these issues being created? Do they come from emails or from use of the JSM Customer Portal? I ask because the automation would be simpler if the Location information was contained in a selection list field instead the Description field.

Like John Funk likes this

Hi @Trudy Claspill , the content is going to be always in the same order.

The description will not be changed after the issue is created.

The issues are created by email.

Thanks

Sharos

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 17, 2024

Hi @sharos_pillai 

I am following up to learn if you solved this one yet to extract the location information from the description field.

If not, have you tried something like this yet to extract the location using text functions:

{{issue.description.split("\n").match("Location of Workstation: (.*)")}}

Kind regards,
Bill

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events