Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error running basic automation on next-gen project

Adam Foot December 20, 2020

The goal is to create an automation that when run creates a Task with Subtasks.

To try & achieve this, I've created a very simple automation task configured as follows:

Create a new issue in:

Project: Test

Issue type: Task

Summary: task test

+

Create a new issue in:

Project: Test

Issue type: Subtask

Parent Issue: Current issue

Summary: subtask test

However when run, it shows the below output including an error at the subtask step:

Action details:
Create issue
Issues created successfully
TEST-32
Create issue
Error creating issue
Issue type is a sub-task but parent issue key or id not specified. (issuetype)

Please advise what the problem is here?

Thanks

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ash Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 20, 2020

Hey @Adam Foot 

I believe you would want to select the "Create sub tasks" action.

Basically

• When: Issue created
  • Condition: Issue type equals task
  • Action: Then create x sub tasks

That should do it :)

automation.PNG

Thanks @Ash Pitt for the prompt reply.

I did see that option, but the problem I encountered is that it doesn't let you set additional properties on the create sub-tasks action page e.g. assignee.

When I click on add fields it takes me back to the standard create issue page where I had originally configured the subtasks & therefore have the errors.

Here is a snip of what I'm trying to achieve - it begins off a scheduled time trigger:

Capture2.PNG

Based on the above, would there still need to be conditions added?

Thanks

Ash Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 20, 2020

Hello again @Adam Foot 

I only added in the condition to specific adding the task type only, so it's not required really, that's just how I'd filter it down to "task only".

To assign a user I just used the "add fields" part of the sub-task automation and was able to automate the assignee to the reporter. There are plenty of other options though!

So it looks like you're on the right path, just play around with the "Add fields" options.

auto3.PNG

auto4.PNG

IMO to test the function out first (if you haven't already) do the automation triggers based on when the issue is created, then when happy, flick to scheduling.

Cheers

Ash

Hi @Ash Pitt I'm unfortunately still getting the error when running the very basic automation shown in my previous post. The error details are below:

Capture3.PNGAny ideas?

Thanks

Ash Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 20, 2020

Ok so with scheduling I think you will need to use the branch rule function.

In my example below I wanted to have a task created with sub tasks every day, so I set it up similar to what you did, however used the branching rule for the most recently created issue (which is that task) to create 2 sub tasks.

I think that will sort you out :)

branch rule.PNG

Like # people like this
Adam Foot December 21, 2020

Thanks @Ash Pitt that worked!

Lastly, even though the Assignee is specified in the rules for both the Task & Subtask, it's still making "Automation for Jira" the Assignee.

Any ideas on how to solve that one?

Thanks

Ash Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 21, 2020

Yep I have ideas :)

Within the task/sub task settings you can choose the fields to set, so in that case I chose the assignee and the reporter (though it should work for whatever fields you have set up the require an assignee) - then you just specify who you want it to be assigned to.

Works a treat for me.

reporter.PNG

Adam Foot December 22, 2020

Hi @Ash Pitt that's a different result from what I get.

I have it set the same, for the assignee to be x user during the create a new Task & Subtask. However it ends up being "Automation for Jira" as shown below:

assignee.PNG

I did notice that the Actor is Automation for Jira under Rule Details, but I assumed this is still achievable without changing that:

actor.PNGWhat do you think?

Thanks

Ash Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 25, 2020

Merry Christmas @Adam Foot 

Changing the actor I think works, however there is caution to be taken with that as well.

actor.PNG

However it does work :) note the NGD-50 is the one i set up as me being the actor.

actor2.PNGHopefully that (now) has helped you get cracking with automation!

Cheers and a happy new year

Ash

Adam Foot December 28, 2020

Hi @Ash Pitt , even though the assignee is set to be user_b, it's making the assignee for both the tasks & subtasks whoever the "actor" is in the automation e.g. if I change the actor to myself, it makes me the assignee for all tasks & subtasks in the automation. If I change the actor to Automation for Jira, then that becomes the assignee. 

This is despite the assignee being specifically set in each rule of the automation e.g. create subtask & set the assignee to be user_b.

Any ideas?

Thanks 

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 29, 2020

Hi @Adam Foot 

As you have been improving your rule, please consider posting a new image of the current rule.  That may help uncover the issue with the edit and the assignment.

Thanks, and best regards,

Bill

Adam Foot December 29, 2020

As suggested, here are some screenshots of the automation:

s1.PNG

s2.PNG

Results in the assignee being Automation for Jira:

s3.PNG

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 30, 2020

Yup, that looks like a defect.  When you look at the individual task's history does it show as only assigned once to the automation user?

I looked in the public backlogs and didn't see a defect for this, so if you are on a paid license I suggest submitting a defect for this, and then post back here what you learn from the support team:

https://support.atlassian.com/contact/#/

Like Ash Pitt likes this
Adam Foot January 3, 2021

Thanks Bill, the assignee was just caused by a Workflow issue.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events