You're on your way to the next level! Join the Kudos program to earn points and save your progress.
Level 1: Seed
25 / 150 points
1 badge earned
Challenges come and go, but your rewards stay with you. Do more to earn more!
What goes around comes around! Share the love by gifting kudos to your peers.
Keep earning points to reach the top of the leaderboard. It resets every quarter so you always have a chance!
Join now to unlock these features and more
Anyone else experienced this?
I'm getting occasional errors from a rule and the detail in the audit log is "edit forbidden". But this only happens randomly. Below is a good example, where in a short period of time, in the same Project (it's a global rule) there was a successful, a No action performed and a "some errors" with this stage error.
The field "StatusChanges", is read only, as in, it isn't configured for "Edit screen" so that people cannot manually mess with the entries added by the rule. This works...absolutely! and as shown below, works in this project only minutes apart.
So what could it be? Any ideas @Bill Sheboy or @Mykenna Cepek
Here are the clues I detect: global rule (i.e. will run for various projects using various project configurations), intermittent errors, and the inability to edit an issue.
This suggests that there is a configuration difference between projects causing this problem. You will probably also see consistency in which projects have this error, and which projects do not.
I would check these areas, comparing between projects that work and projects that don't:
Also check how this rule is configured for the "Actor" field. Ensure the configured Actor has the required access to perform this edit.
A helpful thing for situations like this is the Jira Permission Helper:
(the above is the Jira Cloud link; replace the YourInstance part to match your Jira).
It can easily pinpoint many configuration details that can prevent a user from taking a specific action on a specific issue.
Let us know what you discovered!
Thanks @Mykenna Cepek I have checked most of those and indeed i do get "explainable" errors from time to time with such (global) rules. But in this case, their is no consistency as the screenshot demonstrates (3 examples all in the same Project, where 2 out of 3 work, one doesn't)
I did this morning wonder if it is as @Doug Levitt points out, that it is to do with traffic/volume/stability of Jira at a given moment. Based on this occurring yesterday Jira Software Status - Various features are not working for some Atlassian Cloud customer around the time I started getting seemingly random failures.
Thank you both for responding!!!
I typically ignore intermittent errors (that is, it usually works, but rarely doesn't). Occasionally, I need to manually modify a Jira ticket to address the "data corruption" (i.e. data is not in the state I would normally expect).
Because I anticipated the Automations not being 100% reliable, I have implemented a set of Monitors for each important automation. Each Monitor checks for deviations which should not occur if the original Automation was successful.
- Monitor to check synchronicity between PBIs and SubTasks (where a PBI is a Story, Bug, etc.)
- Monitor to check synchronicity between Epics and PBIs (where a PBI is a Story, Bug, etc.)
These monitors write warning to Slack Channels. I spend about 5 minutes each day scanning these and making corrections if needed.
As a note, we have ~ 225 developers across 30 Squads, running in synchronized Sprints.