Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

During sub task creation, can the parent's summary be included in the sub task summary?

Jonathan Smith
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 7, 2022

Morning,

I am creating a user management system in JWM for a business group. 

• Parent task = employee name
  • Sub tasks = change tasks

When the 50+ sub tasks fire off, they have common language and does not identify WHO the action is for. 

• Sub task example: Remove from X systems.

Is it possible for the sub task summary field to include the parent summary?

• Field = {parent.summary) -The sub task title
  • Result: Jonathan Smith - Remove from X systems.

Worst case, I direct the assignees to click up a level and view the parent task... OR we create a redundant field called employee name where it matches the summary...

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 7, 2022

Hi @Jonathan Smith - Yes this is totally possible with Jira Automation.  You can do something like this:

• TRIGGER: Issue Created
  • CONDITION: Issue Type = Sub-Task
  • ACTION: Edit Issue (Summary)
    • {{issue.parent.summary}} - {{issue.summary}}

After the sub-task is created, it will prepend the original summary with the parent summary.

Jonathan Smith
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 7, 2022

Thanks Mark! I'll try this out and see which way the business would rather go.

Like # people like this
Jonathan Smith
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 7, 2022

@Mark Segall I created a new branch (for sub tasks) at the bottom of my 50 item automation which edits the summaries to your code; This works perfectly! 

Thanks!

Like # people like this
0 votes
Jonathan Smith
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 7, 2022

Workaround:

1. Created new field called "Business User" (free text)
  2. Automation will copy triggered summary into Business User field on sub task. 

I'd still like to know if there is a coding solution for this vs adding a new field.

Cheers.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events