Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Due date is crossed – configure pop-up drop-down for project manager to choose the reason

divya krishna August 28, 2024

Hi 

Due date is crossed. configure the pop-up drop-down for the project manager to choose the reason, and if due is not crossed, they should not get the pop-up. Could you please provide suggestions for this case?

4 answers

2 votes
Darryl Lee
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 28, 2024

SO... I don't think Atlassian provides a mechanism for creating "pop-ups".

I'm thinking one thing you could do (and you properly tagged this question) is create a Validator that forces the Reason field to be required if Due Date has past, and include a message explaining that.

The trick is that Validators only happen with specific transitions. So maybe you add this before somebody can Close a ticket. ("Hey you closed this ticket after it was due. Therefore you have to provide a reason why.")

Can you please let us know if you are on Cloud or Data Center so I could give a recomendation on how to create such a Validator?

divya krishna August 28, 2024

I am using cloud version

divya krishna August 29, 2024

@Darryl Lee Could you please reply me

divya krishna August 29, 2024

Darryl Lee
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 29, 2024

Hi @divya krishna - so what you're actually need is a conditional Validator.

And for that, you're going to need an add-on that allows you to implement a Jira Expressions. I wrote about this here:

Now, I wrote that a while ago, so it's possible there's an now add-on that provides a nice UI so you don't have to learn Jira Expressions, but under the covers, that's what really is happening.

Give me a little time and I'll come up with what you need.

Darryl Lee
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 29, 2024

Got it. So I used the FREE Custom Workflow Condition, Validator & Postfunctions to create Validator, but it would work with any of these (pricing for 100 users as of Jan 29, 2024):

Here's the Jira Expression:

new Date(issue.dueDate.toISOString() + 'T00:00:00') >= new Date() || issue.customfield_10151 != null

Where my customfield_10151 is a Single Select field. I think if your Reason field was text, you might be able to use '', but maybe null will work too.

Anyways, the ISO date thing was annoying. You might have to fiddle with it  or tack on your timezone.)

But basically this is saying that for the transition to go through, one of these statements must be true:

• Due Date (at 00:00:00) >= Current Date/Time
  • Reason field must not be empty

Here's what it looked like in my workflow editor:

Screenshot 2024-08-29 at 4.10.22 PM.png

Hey @Krzysztof Bogdan - what does that green checkmark and 1 mean?

Whew, it's been a long time since I've written a Jira Expression. Painful. But fun stuff.

Krzysztof Bogdan September 1, 2024

@Darryl Lee✅ - means expression syntax is ok.

The number show expression complexity:
https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/jira/software/jira-expressions/#expensive-operations

(There are limit how many operations expression execute)

0 votes
divya krishna September 2, 2024

we can implement this function in validator or conditions without using free add-on 

0 votes
divya krishna August 30, 2024

@Maciej Dudziak _Forgappify_ @Darryl Lee 

Without using free add-on we can implement this function in validator or conditions 

Darryl Lee
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 3, 2024

Hi - are you asking whether you can implement this without an add-on?

The answer is no.

Like divya krishna likes this
0 votes
Maciej Dudziak _Forgappify_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 29, 2024

Hi @divya krishna 

I agree with @Darryl Lee

What you need is a Jira expression-based validator, which allows you to create conditional validations.

If you're interested in learning how to build expressions related to dates, our team has created the Dates Compare Validatorwhich is part of the Workflow Building Blocks for Jira free app. With a wizard-like UI, you can select options that match your case. We provide a Jira expression preview section where you can see the expression generated by the UI. It looks like this:

community_30.08.24.png

Then, you can use the generated expression, expand upon it, and apply it with our Jira Expression Validator to handle your case:

(issue.dueDate != null 
&& new Date(issue.dueDate.toISOString()+'T00:00:00+00:00') >= new Date())
? true
: issue.customfield_xxxxx != null

You need to change the ID of the custom field to a valid one. In the editor, after 'issue.', start typing the name of the field, and you will get suggestions with the correct value.

If your field is a customfield, then in most cases checking against null is correct way to make it required. In other cases you can check our Fields Required Validator, which also has a preview section to learn how to make it right.

I hope it will help.

Cheers

Darryl Lee
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 29, 2024

Oh man, @Maciej Dudziak _Forgappify_ your app is very very cool! I should've figured that given enough time, clever developers would make apps that would alleviate users from having to learn Jira Expressions (as much "fun" as it can be.)

Maciej Dudziak _Forgappify_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 30, 2024

Thank you Darryl :) 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events