Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Create / clone issue when project name is smart value / dynamic

Hello, community.
Is there a way to create a new issue (or clone) without providing a specific project name?

In other words, i need a rule that can create an issue, while target project is based on a trigger' field value (assume that there is a field with the project key or name (tried both) provided by a user and can vary.

tried using smart values for both project and issue type and it fails on 'project name is required'. 

i have a workaround in mind but i don't like very much.. (it requires a rule for each possible project, bunch of flags and complex maintenance )

thank you in advance!

1 answer

0 votes
Simmo Atlassian Team Sep 29, 2020

Hi @Alex Rouk ,

Not sure which Automation you're referring to. But if you're referring to Jira Automation (formally Automation for Jira) then there is an option in the UI that will do what you want to acheive:

createissue.pngCheers,

Simeon

Thanks, @Simmo  Yeah, that Automation :) 

My issue is that I don't want (can't) to put a specific Project name because it is uncertain when i'm creating the rule. So i wanted either to use field's value there or a variable.

Is it possible?

Thank you!

Simmo Atlassian Team Sep 30, 2020

Hi @Alex Rouk ,

Does the "same project" option not work for you? It will try to determine it based on the trigger context. So you shouldn't have to specify a project.

Thank you again, @Simmo .

it is not that simple..

Imagine i have a rule triggered from project A. The rule is supposed to create a new issue in another project (B, C, D..), based on a value of projectA_field. The value of projectA_field is entered by user.

For example, if projectA_field = "B", the issue will be created in B, if projectA_field="C", then in project C. 
Project A is kind of a hub, creating tickets dynamically in other projects

Hope this clarifies.

thanks! 

Simmo Atlassian Team Oct 01, 2020

Hi @Alex Rouk , yeah I'm starting to get the picture now. Is it possible for you to share a few screenshots of how you have configured your rule so we can figure this out?

@Simmo , i can definitely share anything :) but I am not sure what can i share..

attached a dummy rule that covers my need.. hope it helps..

thank you again for the time and willingness to help. much appreciated!

example.png

Hi @Alex Rouk 

Did you ever work this out? I'm also trying to get this to work!

Ste

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Automation

New to Jira Automation - goodbye Cron (sort of), hello new project created trigger, new additions to

Hey Everyone! Simeon from the Automation team here. I'm delighted to share some new features and improvements that we are shipping to Jira automation (Cloud only). Firstly, @Sam Harding&nbsp...

2,874 views 10 23
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you