Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create a recurring subtask in project every month

Tunahan Aydin January 26, 2023

I have multiple subtasks in my project that repeat in the beginning of every month. Instead of always creating the same exact tasks over and over again after someone closed in the beginning of the month I'd like to automate this. Is there a way to do this?

3 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 26, 2023

Hi Tunahan,

Take a look at this article and see if it helps you. 

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-articles/Creating-a-Flexible-Recurring-Task-Issue/ba-p/2040862

Tunahan Aydin January 30, 2023

That solved it. Thanks John!

Like John Funk likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 30, 2023

Great!

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 26, 2023

Hi @Tunahan Aydin ,

There are a couple of options here both leveraging automation. If the new sub-task is created only when the previous sub-task completes then you might trigger on the previous sub-task completing. However, if that is not a reliable condition and you just need a new sub-task every month regardless of the previous sub-tasks current status then I would opt for setting up a scheduled rule to run at the beginning of each month. Given that this is a sub-task you're creating the important piece is how to determine the parent. If the parent is always a specific key then you can make it a static rule simply adding a sub task to the specific task.

Before I dive into a more precise answer could you please provide as much detail as possible about your use case?

Tunahan Aydin January 27, 2023

Hey Jack,

Thank you for your quick reply. I think scheduled would be better in my case. So I have a Task and multiple sub tasks under this parent task. Let's say I have 10 subtasks and out of these 10 only 3 should be recurrent and should be created with the same name same description and same due date adapted to the current month. if the due date is set to 3rd feb the next one should be 3rd march and so on. How do I need to proceed here?

Thank you in advance!

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 27, 2023

Hi @Tunahan Aydin , John's article that he referenced is a good resource for constructing your rule. As weL there are some similar posts in the Community with answers. With that said if you want a scheduled rule that creates three subtasks under a specific task each month it would look like the example below. Note, I have not illustrated the due date here as I am not immediately sure how to reference the previous month's sub-task's duedate. If you were triggering off of the previous month's subtask transitioning to Done it would be easy. Simply copy from trigger issue.

DE9BD3EA-39C5-4F42-998A-99D5F0E3129F.jpeg

Like Steffen Opel _Utoolity_ likes this

Hi Jack, you were right John's article solved my issue. Thanks for your time and help!

1 vote
Karyna Tyrnavska _SaaSJet
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 27, 2023

Hi, @Tunahan Aydin !

If you`re ok with Jira plug-in, try out Recurring Checklists and Report to create repeated tasks with a checklist every month. 

So, you don`t need to create the same task over and over again. Also, you can monitor the progress of the checklists item in the one-page report

This step would need additional approval for the app from our security team. Johns article solved the issue. Thank you Karyna!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events