Create Lookup Table action mentioned in documentation, not present in app

Ryan Schamp February 17, 2023

The Jira Cloud Automation Actions documentation (here) mentions a "Create lookup table" action, however, that action isn't present in the Automation app. This would be incredibly helpful for a number of my current and planned automations.

Is this something that's coming soon? 

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Darryl Lee
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 17, 2023

Wow! Great find @Ryan Schamp !!

Of course now I want to know:

• can we help beta test it?
  • is there a way to build the lookup table programmatically, or via a web request?
  • when is this coming to production?

But yeah there a LOT of if-else-else-else rules out there that would be much simpler to implement with a lookup table!

(Neat stuff, @Bill Sheboy

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 18, 2023

Hi @Ryan Schamp and @Darryl Lee 

Thanks for that information! 

This feature would help with several use cases...although I wonder how it will align with the problems where smart values and created variables often cannot be used as function parameters (as they resolve to null).  Or in smart value, list filtering.

It appears that documentation page changed some time after 9 December 2022 (according to internet archive captures), and the feature is not in production or in the rules example library instance yet.

The feature isn't in the public backlog as a suggestion and the old Code Barrel backlog was recently removed so no way to check if it was in there either.

If only there was someone who was a community leader on this thread who could ping the Atlassian product people for more information...  ;^)

Kind regards,
Bill

Darryl Lee
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 18, 2023

Wait wait, am I the community leader?

Heh. I guess that's me. Well, while leaders do have a Slack where we can chat with Atlassian Community staffers, and we sometimes get to talk to Product folks, we don't actually have a Batphone that hooks us up. Although what I really need I think is a Batdirectory.

Bad metaphors aside, I do have access to see which Atlassian folks have been posting about new Automation features. Heh.

So... @Srini Chakravarthy and @Michael Fedulov -- can you give us any insights into this apparently new and upcoming "Create Lookup Table" function? :-}

(And hey, on the plus side, the documentation is clearly ahead of schedule in their work! Just need those screenshots! :-)

Simmo
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 20, 2023

Heya folks!

This was my innovation week project and it is coming to Automation rules near you soon. The docs unfortunately got published a little early. We're dogfooding it ourselves at the moment to make sure its solid. I've already found one little issue with it.

Since you asked, I'll get a screenshot shortly.

Like # people like this
Simmo
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 20, 2023

Since you guys asked, here's a sneaky look at what may, or may not be, the final UI.

lookup.png

Like # people like this
Ryan Schamp February 21, 2023

@Simmo 

ron-swanson-parks-and-rec.gif

Like # people like this
0 votes
Eden Eliyahu April 16, 2023

amazing feature!

few questions:

1- When it will be possible to add more than 20 rows?

2- I have multiple rows that need to get the same value. are you going to support "in" function? Now I added 6 rows with the same value, but only the key is different.  

thanks

0 votes
Eden Eliyahu April 16, 2023

hi

can you explain how to use it?

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 16, 2023

Hi @Eden Eliyahu 

Please review the article announcing the feature release; it describes the usage of the lookup tables: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Automation-articles/New-Automation-action-Create-lookup-table/ba-p/2311333

The short answer is: add key/value pairs for what you want, and then reference them with the get() function.

And, I highly recommend reading all of the comments in that article as they will describe some known capabilities/limitations. 

Kind regards,
Bill

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events