Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comment on Issue with Automation information

Devin Ponda April 20, 2022

We have a desire to post an internal comment to a request at the end of an automation that would include information like Automation Name and who triggered the automation.

Has anyone come across a solution for this?

Thanks,

Devin

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 20, 2022

Hi @Devin Ponda - I would advise against this since you can just look at rule executions to see what has executed against a given issue.  However, if you want to go this route, it's pretty simple.  You could do something like this in an add comment action:

*Rule:* {{rule.name}}

*Triggered by:* {{initiator.displayName}}
Darryl Lee
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 20, 2022

As Rules and Workflows get more complex/opaque, I could see value in putting this in a Comment for clarity, as I suspect most users would not know to look under Automations for this kind of history.

Also Rule Executions does not include who triggered a rule:

Screen Shot 2022-04-20 at 2.45.58 PM.png

On the other hand, if people are somewhat aware of how Rules are implemented, maybe it would be enough to change the Rule Actor to "User who triggered the event":

Screen Shot 2022-04-20 at 2.48.15 PM.png

Like Curt Holley likes this
Devin Ponda April 20, 2022

@Mark Segall @Darryl Lee 

It worked perfectly.  I use the Automation audit logs all the time, but it adds unnecessary troubleshooting time when tracking down issues with misused automations.  I can't search the automation audit log for for the Key so I have to dig around based on time.

If I want review the activity of a request due to customer complaint or other ask, then going to the request is the quickest way to do so.

We already are using the User who triggered the event.  Unfortunately, the History just shows each step as though an agent did each individually and not that an automation was fired.

What you've provided is exactly what I'm looking for and provides the solution for this use case.  

We'll continue to use the Audit Logs for troubleshooting automations, which is what they are designed for...not tracking who ran them.

Thank you both for your quick responses!!!

Devin

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events