Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Check if custom field is empty before close

Alexander Münchrath September 27, 2023

Hello dear community, I have a question and hope that I get the help here.
We have created a custom field "Release Note Information". Now this field should be filled only for stories and bugs.
Here the automation should intervene. If the field is not empty, a warning should appear and inform the user that the information must still be entered before the ticket can be closed.
I have already set it to check if it is a story or a bug and if the field is empty or not. But after that I can't find the right value. I don't want to send mails or enter something automatically. I want it to give a warning and not close the ticket before the field is filled.
Is that even possible with automation? If yes, how?
Thanks
Alex

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Marco Brundel
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 27, 2023

Hi @Alexander Münchrath ,

Welcome to the Atlassian Community.

In your usecase I advise to use a validator on a workflow transistion.

You can ad the validator "Field Required Validator" on the transition to the 'Closed' status.
So the issue can only been set to 'Closed' if the field is filled.

Is this a option for your situation?

Regards,

Marco Brundel

2 votes
Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 27, 2023

Hi @Alexander Münchrath ,

in your case I would create screen with your custom field and add it to the transitions, where you expect it to be filled. You can also add validator to these transitions, if you want to force your users to fill it.

Automation rule won’t help here.

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 27, 2023

Hi @Alexander Münchrath -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Adding to the answer from Hana...

Automation rules run (i.e., trigger) after something has happened.  And for your scenario the rule could not trigger until after the issue has already transitioned.  That would not help ensure the field is completed first.

Kind regards,
Bill

Like # people like this
Alexander Münchrath September 27, 2023

Thanks for the answers. I had not thought about the condition in the workflow.

Like Marco Brundel likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events