Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change Parent Issue status when 2 or more sub-tasks are in a status

Sarath December 28, 2020

My requirement is, I would like to automate parent issue transition when 2 or more sub-tasks of that parent issue are in a certain status.

Example: If parent issue is in open status, and when two or more of its sub-tasks are changed to "status A", then parent issue should be moved to in-progress. 

For this, I have used advanced compare condition in automation for jira.When this condition is met, For parent, status transition to happen.
advanced compare condition.PNG
But when I tested this automation rule, even when there is one sub-task with statusA, the automatic transition is happening. It is considering the condition "greater than".

I would like to know if it is possible using automation for jira plugin, if so, what should I make changes in my approach.

Thanks in advance.

1 answer

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 28, 2020

Hi @Sarath 

It seems your advanced compare is only testing the one sub-task and not the others.

Have you considered using JQL and Lookup Issues to find the sub-tasks which are in the status you care about, and then check the size to see if there is more than one: {{lookupIssues.size}}

If more than one, then update the parent.

Best regards,

Bill

Sarath December 28, 2020

Thank you, we're using automation for jira in server version. Seems like lookup issues action is not available in this moment.

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 28, 2020

Thanks for that information, Sarath.

That is correct that Lookup Issues is only for cloud version.  For server version, JQL result sets are representented by the {{issues}} smart value (note this is plural).  So then {{issues.size}} could work for you.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/automation/smart-values-993924860.html

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events