Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't use automation for initiative hierarchy (Epic Parent) When Epic field is being changed

Ofer Regev December 20, 2021

Hi

I am trying to change one of the fields' values at the initiative level we created whenever a field at the epic level (child of the initiative) is updated.

No options in the branch function refer to anything higher than epic

And I couldn't find a way to use smart values in this case 

Any help would be appreciated 

Screen Shot 2021-12-21 at 9.49.45.png

1 answer

1 vote
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 21, 2021

Hi @Ofer Regev -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

You are correct that those other levels are not supported by-name in the automation actions/branches...yet.  Instead you could try to branch on JQL, for example:

• trigger: issue field updated (for your field)
  • condition: issue type equals epic
  • branch: on JQL with key = {{triggerIssue.parent}}
    • condition: issue type equals initiative
    • action: edit issue, copying the value from the trigger issue

Kind regards,
Bill

Ofer Regev December 21, 2021

Thanks @Bill Sheboy 
question, if I need to check something on a specific field at the initiative level
can I use {{triggerIssue.parent.custom field name}} ? 

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 22, 2021

Often that is not possible, because the rule would potentially need to load all of the data for any linked issues in a chain...even if not needed. 

Instead you could use a branch to that parent to access the data, as I suggested for the edit, or Lookup Issues with the same JQL.

Please note this gets more complicated if you needed to update the trigger issue (e.g. epic) based upon something learned in the parent (e.g. initiative).  For Jira Cloud automation, the possible work-arounds are to use Lookup Issues or Created Variables to save the information first.  For example:

• trigger: some trigger you need
  • condition: issue type is epic
  • condition: issue has a parent (e.g. initiative)
  • action: lookup issues with JQL to get the parent's data
  • condition: test the parent's fields, such as {{lookupIssues.status}}
  • ...more actions...

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events