Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can ownership of an automation rule be assigned to a group?

Gregory Gadow March 3, 2021

When creating a project automation rule, an owner must be supplied, because this owner is sent notifications should the automation fail. I would like to have these notifications sent to a distribution list rather than a single individual. I cannot find any way to redirect the failure notifications, and I cannot figure out how to assign ownership to a group rather than an individual user. 

Is what I want possible, and if so, how can I do it?

2 answers

1 accepted

6 votes
Answer accepted
Darryl Lee
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 3, 2021

One idea, although it burns a license, is to create a Service Account that is linked to a distribution list, and make that account the owner of the rule.

One advantage of a Service Account though is that you can use it for other things, like generating API tokens for use in Automation Rules or Opsgenie integration without tying it to a single user who may eventually leave the company:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/Is-it-possible-to-access-Jira-API-via-Automation-for-Jira/qaq-p/1579920#M116734

I will look in to this, thanks.

4 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 3, 2021

Hi @Gregory Gadow  -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

It appears that feature is in the backlog and not yet available:

https://codebarrel.atlassian.net/browse/AUT-2009

Best regards,

Bill

Thanks for the quick response. I think that Darryl Lee's idea of attaching a group email to a service account might be the ticket around this. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events