Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use Jira Automation to automate the deployment of a Jira environment?

Ged Dunn October 31, 2021

We are just evaluating the Jira cloud suite of software and comparing it to our experience with other platforms.  I have a few questions:

1. If I configure a development environment can I use Jira Automate (or another product in the suite) to automatically deploy a production environment with the same config?

2. If I use that production environment to capture production data, can I then further deploy feature enhancements and config changes from my dev environment to production without completely wiping out  the production environment and data.  So if I design a new screen or workflow in dev, can i automate the release into prod?

Could you point me to any specific documentation which covers this?

Thanks

Ged

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 31, 2021

Jira automation mostly works with issues, and is not a heavyweight scripting solution.  The best you could do is have it trigger your deployment/build scripts.

Thanks @Nic Brough -Adaptavist-  ..makes sense.  Do you have any thoughts on deployment tools to consider?  Azure Pipelines?  BitBucket Pipeline? Octopus Deploy?  Is there any blogger or other resource who you think has covered this particular issue?

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist-   I am looking also at Project Configurator...is that an option?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 31, 2021

All of them!  All the ones you've mentioned are very good tools for deploying things, but they are all different and have strengths and weaknesses, and some of them are better for, or even only for, doing part of the deployments.

The question comes down to "what are you trying to 'deploy'"?  If it's Jira (or other Atlassian) systems, then it starts to depend on whether they are Cloud or Server.  If it's software you are building with the help of Atlassian tools, then there's a good chance Bamboo or Bitbucket-pipelines can be your friend.  If it's partial configuration of a Jira system, then Project Configurator is probably right at the top of the list (although you might want to look at Configuration Manager too - those two do things quite differently, but to the same effect, and are the two I reach for when trying to move config from one Jira to another)

Like Ged Dunn likes this
Ged Dunn November 1, 2021

Thanks @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- We will review those products.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events