Can I test a project automation rule?

Ine Nieuwenhuijzen March 14, 2022

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am creating a lot of automation rules with emails and comments that have been send out and I was wondering if and how I can test these automation rules before using them? I have found https://support.atlassian.com/cloud-automation/docs/test-a-jira-automation-rule-using-the-manual-trigger/ but in my project automation rules I cannot see Rule executions. Can you only test the automation rule if you selected Manual when creating the rule?

Thank you in advanced,

2 answers

2 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Mykenna Cepek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 14, 2022

Rule executions for each rule are listed in the Audit Log, available for each rule, in the area where you create and edit rules:

https://YourDomain.atlassian.net/jira/settings/automation

The "Audit Log" area lists every recent execution (subject to quantity/expiration time limtations that I don't recall at the moment).

Access them for a give rule here:

Screen Shot 2022-03-14 at 10.04.50 AM.png

Also, I like to test rules in a sample project before "going live" with a new rule. I have a specific "Playground" project in our Jira Instance which is available for this kind of use.

As for testing things like emails sent by a rule, you'll just have to review the Audit Log to see if the Send Email action succeeded. During testing, I ensure emails go to me (either by hardwiring the action, or setting things appropriately in Jira e.g. me as the assignee of a test issue).

Also, when testing and debugging a rule, remember that the "Log action" component is your friend! You can sprinkle those in a rule to see what's going on (e.g. to see the content of variables or smart values).

1 vote
Answer accepted
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 14, 2022

Hi @Ine Nieuwenhuijzen and welcome to the community!

You should always be able to see the "Rule Executions" menu in the right side bar.

image.png

If no rules are defined with a Manual trigger you simply won't be able to select a rule to execute.

image.png

Once you set the rule trigger on "Manual" you can then go to an issue and test the rule against that issue. (unless it's a rule that uses a JQL/IQL as data then you can just trigger it from there).

The testing itself is not triggered from the rules menu but from the rule executions within an issue.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events