Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I increase the Loop Detection sevice limit in JIRA automation from 10?

Gaurav Dhuppar March 9, 2022

I have an requirement where I need to perform automation on dates where dates for linked subtasks should change if any change occurs in date of one subtask. I want to run it until the condition got failed for linked tasks as I have 20 subtasks. How can this be acheived?

1 answer

1 vote
Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 9, 2022

Hi @Gaurav Dhuppar - This can be handled like this:

• TRIGGER: Field Value Changed
  • CONDITIONS:
    • <Your Date Field(s)>
    • Issue Type = Subtask
  • BRANCH: JQL This will get you into the other subtasks
    • parent = {{issue.parent}}
    • CONDITION(S) If applicable
    • ACTION: Edit Issue <Your Date Field(s)> (Set to copy from trigger issue)

Hi @Mark Segall ,

Thanks for your response. This is what I have done but I have 20 subtasks within the task and when I am trying to update the dates for all the linked subtasks, after 10 JIRA automation is throwing loop detected. Hence I wanted to check if we can increase the value for Loop Detection service Limit?

Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 9, 2022

Ahh... I think the loop detection is occurring because the issue is hitting itself with the JQL.  You probably want to adjust the branch query to this so that the trigger issue is not included in the branch set:

parent = {{issue.parent}} AND KEY != {{issue}}

See if that fixes the problem.

Like Bill Sheboy likes this
Simmo
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 9, 2022

Hi @Gaurav Dhuppar,

The loop detection limit cannot be changed. As @Mark Segall pointed out, if you're hitting that then it is a sign that you need to restructure your rule. 

Can you provide a screenshot of how you have configured your rule?

Cheers,

Simeon.

Hi @Simmo ,

Thanks for your response. Here is the screenshot of the rule.

Automation_rule.PNG

The reason I have checked the box of check to allow other rule action to trigger this rule is because I want to update dates for all the linked subtasks. Now, if subtask count is less than 10, then this rule is working absolutely fine. But for more than 10 it is showing as loop. Can we insert some delay in the rule or break it in between and restart it again?

Thanks,

Gaurav Dhuppar

Simmo
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 9, 2022

Hey @Gaurav Dhuppar

Is there any chance you can raise a support ticket? These things are really hard to debug without seeing what is going on and thats lots of screenshots.

But to answer your question, we need to have a look at what issues are triggering this rule and redesign your rule. The loop is happening because the rule is triggering itself. Perhaps a check before editing might help here as well. No point editing the field if the value already matches what it is set to.

Hi @Simmo ,

I have raised support ticket JST-741086, but the field is getting edited because the value is getting changed as it is dependent on other subtasks.

Thanks,

Gaurav Dhuppar

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events