cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Branching on JQL failes for Incoming Webhook Trigger rule

Jimmy Petersson May 1, 2022

Hi,

Context: using Jira Data Centre

My use-case involves triggering a project automation rule using an incoming webhook  from another project automation rule on the same Jira server. The send- and receive webhook works great and can exchange data.

Incoming Webhook Rule

Webhook_rule.PNG

However, the branching on JQL is never executed for my receiving rule as is evident from the below audit log as Debug 3 tag is not shown in audit log. The rule skips branching and goes :

Webhook_Audit.PNG

Initially I suspected the received data used to craft the JQL was incorrect, so I hardcoded the JQL statement to one specific issue that exist on the server (as can be seen below).

Webhook_rule_branch_statement.PNG

But this did not resolve the issue.

If I modify the trigger to a scheduled one, and run the rule manually, the branching condition works as expected, and Debug 3 tag appears in audit log:

Webhook_Audit_2.PNG 

Are there any known issues/limitations when it comes to branching logic when using Incoming Webhook trigger?

If not, any suggestions for further troubleshooting would be much appreciated.

Best Regards

//Jimmy

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 1, 2022

Hi @Jimmy Petersson 

First thing, I am using Jira Cloud so I cannot confirm the following for Server/Data Center version...

There is an defect that when the incoming webhook trigger fires, JQL in the rule is executed as an anonymous user: https://codebarrel.atlassian.net/browse/AUT-547

That one looks like it was fixed, but I wonder if you change the user the rule runs under if that will impact the results.

Regardless, I recommend submitting this one as a ticket to Atlassian Support to review: https://support.atlassian.com/contact/#/

Kind regards,
Bill

Jimmy Petersson May 3, 2022

Hi Bill, 

Thanks for sharing.

There is something fishy with my combo of incoming webhook trigger and branch statement. Will do some more digging around before submitting a defect ticket.

B R

//Jimmy 

Like Bill Sheboy likes this
Grant Kadokura
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 28, 2023

@Jimmy Petersson I'm having the same issue, webhook not triggering JQL branch.  I similarly tried hardcoding and still nothing.  Did you figure out what was going on?

Grant Kadokura
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 29, 2023

@Jimmy Petersson I figured out what was causing my issue, I had failed to set this webhook field properly

2023-11-29 08_17_51-Clipboard.png

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events