Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automation to sort a list automatically when a new card is created or Modified later.

ManniStudio July 19, 2022

Hello all,

I want to build a rule that will automatically sort a list called "Sales Funnel" based on what Labels are assigned to its cards.  I want this to work when I create a NEW card or MODIFY an existing card.  This is a very simple but effective CRM type solution.  No extras needed. I'm sure Trello can do such a common task but I cannot find the right trigger that handles BOTH create and modify of a card. 

Current Rule (Based on Calendar trigger)

every day, sort the cards in list "Sales Funnel" by label blue "FOLLOW UP", red "Urgent ascending

Example #1: Create a new card

1. I create new card called "Ace order" and assign it labels "Follow-up"and "Urgent"
  2. I do not assign any dates to the card.  I just use Labels to set priority.
  3. Upon hitting "Save" I want a rule to run automatically that re-sorts the Sales Funnel list.  The result should bubble this card to the top (or close to the top) of the list based on my sort criteria I set up within the rule, thus re-establishing my priorities and I act on it quickly.

Example #2: Modify an existing card

1. I open existing card called "Ace order" in the list "Sales Funnel"
  2. I change the labels from "Cold lead" and "Back burner" to "Follow-up" and "Urgent"
  3.  I do not assign any dates to the card.  I just use Labels to set priority.
  4. Upon hitting "Save" I want a rule to run automatically that re-sorts the Sales Funnel list.  The result should bubble this card to the top (or close to the top) of the list based on my sort criteria I set up within the rule, thus re-establishing my priorities and I act on it quickly.

I am ramping up on Trello so a clear rule setting would be welcomed.  All help/suggestions are greatly appreciated.  

cheers,
Damon

1 answer

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 19, 2022

Hi @ManniStudio -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

How would you use this sorted list?  Where would you see it in Jira?

For example, if you are viewing the sorted issues using a saved filter search, creating/updating an issue would update their contents.  The next time you view the filter they would be in your new order.  There is no need for any automation to generate that sorting.

If instead you mean to change the Rank field which Jira uses for ordering, such as in a backlog, that is not easily possible with an automation rule.  It would require calling the REST API to change the Rank and potentially need to be run repeatedly...something that could lead to unpredictable results.

Kind regards,
Bill

ManniStudio July 19, 2022
Hi Bill,
thank you for your feedback.  In my post there is no mention of Jira.  Unfortunately  your response won’t address my issue I believe.
But you did mentioned a 'saved filter search'  feature. If this is a Trello feature then I’ll definitely look into that.  .
Cheers,
Damon
ManniStudio July 21, 2022

Following up to my last comment.  The 'Filter' button on a board is great and does focus you on what you searched for (and I am using this feature), but Trello doesn't offer a way to 'save' a search filter.  You must put your keywords in, select labels, etc each time you use the filter (not fun).  So, no luck as a solution 

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 22, 2022

Thanks for clarifying.  Please note you posted this question in the Atlassian Automation area, which is a feature of Jira.

Please consider also posting this in the Trello area so people watching that can perhaps offer help: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Trello/ct-p/trello

Thanks!

ManniStudio July 22, 2022

Ah I see!  Sorry Bill I didn't know that automation was for jira.  my bad. newbie error  I'll remove/repost.  

Like Bill Sheboy likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events